• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got bored. soft half-doors

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
well, i got bored today after my AP physics exam and decided:
"hey, i have thin pipe, a small manual pipe bender die, and a metal saw and 4" grinder.. why not make some half doors"

so i got to it, and i have to say, im satisfied with the outcome. i am still deciding on:
1 latch design [if any] im not sure if it will be just a simple bungee, or something more complex.

2 canvas color. ill probably go with tan, i think red body and tan canvas would look pretty nice

3 other asthetics [pockets and such]

ill be welding it together on thursday, so ill probably get the canvas tomorrow.

for the hinge ive just taken a tab [about 1" x 1"] and will be welding one side to the door, and one to a pin. [leaving about .25" for pivot room]

and if it doesnt work, the only $ im out is the cost of canvas

tubedoors001.jpg

tubedoors002.jpg

tubedoors003.jpg

travis

also, im hoping the canvas will provide just enough rigidity that the door will hold up ok. i wont be pounding on it, or leaning on it, so it should be fine with just that one cross-brace... hopefully :)

I don't know whow long those are going to last, even somebody leaning on them is going to bend the heck out of them. But then again I'm sure it would be easy to fix;)

yea,i was thinking about that... they actually ARE pretty stiff to begin with, bending them was a bit of work [albeit my lever arm on the die was about 1.5 feet lol]

but ill probably gusset the 90* corners, and probably the top bend as well

ha ha, good catch.

i actually got a kick out of that. "thin pipe"... jeez

yea, i was actually thinking of putting some square on top to make a flatter surface.

we'll see how it pans out, like i said, i have all sorts of scraps around, so if worse comes worst, ill just rebuild them at no extra cost

Which AP physics test did you take (mechanics or E&M)? I took both today and the mechanics wasn't bad but the E&M kicked my butt. I don't know how you had any extra time for thinking.

Chris

BTW: nice looking doors, i am interested to see how they turn out.

na, my school doesnt offer the specifics [i wanted to get into the calculus based physics courses, but no dice] its just the physics B... [everything from kinematics to modern]

the MC: cake
the Free response:a bit more difficult

i hate E&M...and this year was based on that

the calc test was a TON more difficult though.. not the MC, but the Free response were agh!

anyway, thanks, i cant wait either heh heh

That is a cool idea. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Maybe I will have you make me some.

Back