• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a couple local questions

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 35's I wana groove (or have grooved) anyone have a grooving tool?

compound softeners????? Ive read possibly 100 posts on differnt sites about it and the pros and cons of running tires that were soaked on a softener. anyone doing so in socal? if so whats your experience? (I used them for street racing but never in the 4X4 world)

Thanks
Dan

compound softeners= farce.

sure i lack personal experiance, but dudes that have been there and done that say its snake oil all the way.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
compound softeners= farce.

sure i lack personal experiance, but dudes that have been there and done that say its snake oil all the way.

I've been there and done that with slicks for my drag car.

Mixed VHT and gasoline (illegal by most rulebooks). It works, but really wasn't worth the mess. If you a planning this for any kind of dirt use, don't bother, it is really more of a sticky compound than a softer compound...it will get covered with dirt before you find a rock to drive up.

JohnX said:
I've been there and done that with slicks for my drag car.

Mixed VHT and gasoline (illegal by most rulebooks). It works, but really wasn't worth the mess. If you a planning this for any kind of dirt use, don't bother, it is really more of a sticky compound than a softer compound...it will get covered with dirt before you find a rock to drive up.
Ya did the same in a big old bath tub and soaked each tire for about a week and it did hook better on pavment. but your right most likely because it was sticky not soft.

bleach works extremely well too, better than VHT. but when you heat it up doing your burnout hold your breath that shit burns.

i agree with john your not going to get any help from any kind of traction compound unless you're on pavement. if you're looking to just soften up the tire rubber you'd need a big ass vat. there is this stuff made by motor purr called tune up in a bottle, we had a demo of it at work. it had a 1/2" wheel cylinder cup soaking in it and it was well over an inch and a half after soaking overnight. maybe that would do it? it was pretty soft when it came out of the stuff but after 4 or 5 days it shrunk back down. :dunno: dunno what you'd use to make it permanant tho.

GrimmJeeper said:
bleach works extremely well too, better than VHT. but when you heat it up doing your burnout hold your breath that shit burns.

i agree with john your not going to get any help from any kind of traction compound unless you're on pavement. if you're looking to just soften up the tire rubber you'd need a big ass vat. there is this stuff made by motor purr called tune up in a bottle, we had a demo of it at work. it had a 1/2" wheel cylinder cup soaking in it and it was well over an inch and a half after soaking overnight. maybe that would do it? it was pretty soft when it came out of the stuff but after 4 or 5 days it shrunk back down. :dunno: dunno what you'd use to make it permanant tho.
Any petroleum based product (including motor oil) will do that to rubber brake system parts. That is why I love Jiffylube...they send me so many complete brake system overhauls to do :D

JohnX said:
Any petroleum based product (including motor oil) will do that to rubber brake system parts. That is why I love Jiffylube...they send me so many complete brake system overhauls to do :D
Ya use to enjoy that as well.......ever see what dot 5 brake fluid does to a cars paint :sunshine:

Back