• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny oil pan problems

Crush

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well Im in the process of replacing the whole rear suspension and noticed a tranny leak.After further investigation I found it to be that the rust that destroyed my rear suspension also destroyed my tranny oil pan.The questionj I have is where(other then a junk yard) can I order a new oil pan?Its a 1989 Wagoneer with selec-trac.I looked on Quadratec and found nothing.

Jeep dealership will be a sure thing, I'd think.

Wow, I've never heard of rust eating through an oil/trans pan. Usually they are always covered in oil anyway which is a reat protectant LOL. Pic?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Man, do I have some BAD news for you. I called a dealereship about 2 weeks ago and priced a pan. Dealer qouted over $200.00. Start looking for a junkyard, and hope they don't know what mopar wants for one

Funny you mention fabing your own. The reason I called jeep about this was because I wanted to fab up my own deep pan like Gojeep did on his web site. I thought a second pan sourced from the dealership would fit the bill. Now I'm considering buying a whole trans. just for the pan.

You'd have to leave the rearside the same because the crossmember wouldn't fit then....

You could make the sump larger toward the front of the pan though.

Might want to make a skid for it then, though.

How rusted is it? Considered repairing it? Coat it with a composite material, solder or weld it. I had a gas tank that was no longer available and the old one was swiss cheese after a mild brush blast with a sand blaster inside and out, and Hart's radiator's brother (in Conroe, circa 1994 as I recall) coated it inside and out with a gasoline proof rubber coating and that swiss cheese steel , rubber coated gas tank outlasted the car. I was impressed.

Take it to a radiator shop and see if they can repair it?

I got one for the AW-4, but the shipping might be bad, since the lower part of the dipstick tube is welded to the pan, causing a funny shape for packaging. If you still are interested, PM me, since we aren't really supposed to discuss sale prices on here.

Back