• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Panel Removal

98CherokeeClassic

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 98 cherokee and only the back two speakers are working. I haven't spent much time messing with the radio because I have been busy fixing other little things in my spare time. Can someone tell me how to remove the door panels on the front and rear? I know this is a simple question that I could figure out but I would rather know before I start that spend what little time I have trying to figure out how to get the panels off. Thanks

You will need this info to fix the door speakers. 1984-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-wiring-info.html The speaker wires often break in the rubber boot by the door hinges. Just run new wires from the inside to the speakers.

There are 2-3 large screws in the door arm rests. Some smaller ones in the door handle and up front by the mirror. Next you use a putty knife or pancake spatula to pop the plastic tabs on the bottom edge of the door trim. Unplug any wires and disengage the door lock rods. Go slow and use care, the parts are easy to break if forced.

You will need this info to fix the door speakers. 1984-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-wiring-info.html The speaker wires often break in the rubber boot by the door hinges. Just run new wires from the inside to the speakers.

There are 2-3 large screws in the door arm rests. Some smaller ones in the door handle and up front by the mirror. Next you use a putty knife or pancake spatula to pop the plastic tabs on the bottom edge of the door trim. Unplug any wires and disengage the door lock rods. Go slow and use care, the parts are easy to break if forced.

Sorry to resurect such an oldie, but I have new data.

My New Year's resolution (well, one of the smaller ones!) was to finally fix the front door speakers on my 2001 Sport after almost 2 years of nothing but the rears. It took about 3 hours and the worst confusion was that the passenger speaker was lt. blue/red (-), and lt. blue/black (+). Wiring info in the above link said + on pass front would be purple. Not sure if this is an aberration, but it is the same from the radio to the speaker. I cut the wires just on the downstream end of the connector in the kick panels and ran HD speaker wire from there to the speakers, re-using the connectors. I put some ee-lek-tri-cul grease on the connectors and taped the connection together, as there seemed to be a short (well, no current for 2 years, go figger).

Happy New Year!

Brian

I don't think that page is accurate- I don't recall at the moment what was what exactly, but the listed colors didn't match mine either.

Back