• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) - Thanks

Everythingoutdoors

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to say thanks for all the great information on this site. Hopefully someone else will find this in the future and it will help them too.

My 97 4.0 auto just stone cold died on my way home last week. tach went crazy a couple times, got it to restart a couple times but that was about it. The restarts were typically after about 10 minutes of waiting. No warning, nothing, it was actually running great before it died. I did all the same things everyone else seems to have, distributor, button, wires, coil and so on. Someone indicated that this was a "classic CPS issue". They were right! I hesitated to drop the $$ on a non-returnable sensor, but trust the info on here and it paid off. Thanks guys!!

Same thing happened to my '88. Got hot and died, cooled off it started. Took me nearly 2 hours to drive 3 miles home having to stop every half mile or so and let it cool for 20 minutes or longer when it first happened.

I googled about my jeep dieing when hot and found plenty of hits pointing to the CPS. Bought one at AZ, did the swap, problem gone.

Back