• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Altenator switch

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I searched but never could find a definate answer.

The altenator on my 99 just crapped and I started to order another one but being disgusted with the price I looked at one for a 99 Grand Cher.Limited to see if there is a difference. I'm a manager at a parts store so using the part number I realized that they are the same case and casting numbers, but the Grand has approx. 30 more amps and cost $50 less. Before I order this does anyone know for certain if I can swap for the higher amp-lower cost? (Same Pulley?) If so this is a great upgrade just for the increased amp output?

Something I found out he hard way was that when I went to the yard to get another alternator for my 90XJ is that the one I pulled from a new model would bolt up fine but the plug was different. I think mine had like 3 wires and ther newer one had an extra wire. So, with that being said, iIhave an alternator that wont work for teh vehicel I bought it for and the yard wont take back electrical parts...I was the fool this time!! :dunce:

Might be stating the obvious, but to me, the mounts look different....

JNickel101 said:
Might be stating the obvious, but to me, the mounts look different....

Sorry should have mentioned that,.. the part numbers do indicate that one is clocked at 5 o clock and one at 6 but other than that I do not see a difference. As far as I am aware its not difficult to reclock these, we have to sometimes at work. The case number on these are identical, might be alot of talk and tech for just 17 amps but a penny saved is a penny.........(yea, yea)

The POS terminal sticks to the side on the higher amp....straight on the back of the other one

I am using ann alternator from a Grand and have been doing so for a few years and I love the higher output especially with dual electric cooling fans that are power hungry. I had to clearance the mounting bracket with a 4" angle grinder and replace the insulator on the output stud with one from the XJ alternator to get the main wire pointing in the right direction. Don't forget to up grade the wire coming from the alternator to the battery/PDM.

This worked!! I ordered the Grand Cher. Altenator yesterday and got it home this afternoon. It had to be reclocked and a small adjustment to the Pos. post on the alt. and its a tight fit on the stock monunts but works like a charm, $50 bucks cheaper and higher output, I'll exchange that for a little effort to make it work!!!

JUST FYI

mgreen84 said:
This worked!! I ordered the Grand Cher. Altenator yesterday and got it home this afternoon. It had to be reclocked and a small adjustment to the Pos. post on the alt. and its a tight fit on the stock monunts but works like a charm, $50 bucks cheaper and higher output, I'll exchange that for a little effort to make it work!!!

JUST FYI

I am happy it work for you. :yelclap: :yelclap:

I'll have to remember this as i'm getting ready to upgrade mine. The amp and subs I have are drawing just a bit too much power from the stock alternator for my liking, plus i'm planning on adding some more lights in the future.

mgreen84 said:

JUST FYI

What do you mean by "reclocked"?

Thx.

Rotating the case position to a new place. It involves some disassembly - removing the thru bolts, usually, repositioning, and compatible locations for the screws going back in.

Back