• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On and Off-Road: Gears, Tires, one man's Dillema!

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
Read some FAQs and other posts on this matter and still don’t know what to do.

While I prepare my 8.8 axle upgrade the dilemma I am having is to know what gears to use.

Right now I am running 31’s with 3.73 gearing—the Dana 35 is locked with a Detroit locker and still haven’t figured on what to do the with the rear, but I am leaning toward an electric, anyway. I will be using my rig as a daily d and take it where one finds abandoned cars….beaches quarries, railroad and power line right of ways. That’s one of the advantages of being in the repo and recovery biz. I get to go where most others are not allowed by law. Perhaps you have seen me in my national tv appearance on that show “REPO MEN, Stealing for a living” with the fat guys from the Sopranos? Anyway I still want to maintain highway speeds. I want to go 4.56 but some tell me that I won’t get up to 60mph on the highway. But I read in some place that I should be running 4.56 with 31’s now. My lift now is at 3.5 and is going up to 5 inches tops. I’m am usually confused, but now I really am perplexed and I only want to do this upgrade once.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

cipey

auto or standard?

with an auto transmission:

4.10's are perfect for 31's, I wouldn't go to 4.56 unless you plan on going up to 33", even then the 4.10's will be acceptable, unless you live in hilly country, then the transmission will hunt at highway speeds.

I am running 4.56's and 31's and I love it. I am turning just a hair over 2500 rpms at 65mph. At 80mph I am right at 3000rpms. I still get about 17-18mpg if I can keep my foot out of it. I have the AW4, if you have a stick your rpms will be slightly higher. If you are thinking of going to a bigger tire in the future, go with the 4.56's. Just my $0.02

goodburbon said:
auto or standard?

with an auto transmission:

4.10's are perfect for 31's, I wouldn't go to 4.56 unless you plan on going up to 33", even then the 4.10's will be acceptable, unless you live in hilly country, then the transmission will hunt at highway speeds.

yes it is an auto aw4, sorry and thanks for info.

who ever told you that you won't be able to go 60 with 4.56s and 31 is full of crap. my dad had an old willy's cj-2a with stock tires and stock (5.38) gears and could do 60 and he didn't have overdrive.

you may be running a little higher than ideal rpm's but 60 will not be a problem

I saw a set up not too long ago that I'm going to model mine after because out of MOST of the vehicles ive seen, this XJ could go just about anywhere.

I'm not just interested in rocks, but trails and exploring any and all environments.. so this is what IM doing.

Already have..

AW4 auto tranny
HP D30 Front
Chrys 8.25 rear (29 Spline)
NP231 transfer case

Whats going IN it

TNT Y-link 5.5 susp (Maybe the Clayton 6 with rear coil.. havent decided yet?)
4.65 Gears
Alloy Shafts front and rear
ARB air lockers front and rear
33" Baja Claws

That to me is a pretty capable set up, and driven with any sort of experiance or skill, should be able to handle any environment.:patriot:

I'd go with the 4.56 gears so you won't have to regear later. They will work fine with 31's. An electric in the rear would work great also.

Are you going to use a locker in the front or are you staying open?

Racer-X said:
I am running 4.56's and 31's and I love it. I am turning just a hair over 2500 rpms at 65mph. At 80mph I am right at 3000rpms. I still get about 17-18mpg if I can keep my foot out of it. I have the AW4, if you have a stick your rpms will be slightly higher. If you are thinking of going to a bigger tire in the future, go with the 4.56's. Just my $0.02

I agree. I loved that combo. JIM.

TNT said:
Are you going to use a locker in the front or are you staying open?

locking it up with a detroit, and from what i understand the max on the dana30 is 33inch tires if locked with stock shafts....and i don't believe that i will be going to alloy soon if ever...

got everything i need for the mod 'cept for the rear locker and gears....and i am going to go with the 4.56's for the dana from quadratec.....\

does anyone know where to get the best deal on 4.56's for a ford 8.8?

"Its all fun and games....until someone shits in the sink!"
-cipey, 1985

Do you use your XJ on the show? I saw that show once, looked funny. Why would a repo-man go to a quarry or through the powerlines??

Cipey said:
locking it up with a detroit, and from what i understand the max on the dana30 is 33inch tires if locked with stock shafts....and i don't believe that i will be going to alloy soon if ever...

got everything i need for the mod 'cept for the rear locker and gears....and i am going to go with the 4.56's for the dana from quadratec.....\

does anyone know where to get the best deal on 4.56's for a ford 8.8?

"Its all fun and games....until someone shits in the sink!"
-cipey, 1985
check out the sponsors section.
most will hook up a member, and you'll be supporting the people that support us.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

mjma said:
Do you use your XJ on the show? I saw that show once, looked funny. Why would a repo-man go to a quarry or through the powerlines??

No I didn't, I used a self loader on the show to tow another wreaker, I primarily do repos and off road recovery..... Anyway, my shop just doesn't do repos', we also do recovery work for the police, AAA, heavy duty hauling, demolition, roll-off, boat tows ect., ect. We’re the one of the largest towing and recovery outfits in southern New England.

Like if Mass Electric got a cherry picker rolled over out on a P Line right of way. Someone has to go up there to recon and prepare the site for the other equipment...even tow trucks with 4wd get stuck in loose or muddy ground because of the weight in the rear of the rig, the front tires come up off the ground while the rear just digs in.

its an off roaders dream, legal access to areas where the gen pub cannot go. sometimes i run up to an aband. I-95 spur thats nearby looking for stolen cars or a quarry area where the kiddies drink on the weekends and get dads escalade or lincoln town car stuck in the mud. (so many caddy's have been stuck in there its been named the "Caddy Farms"!!!

its a fun job and pays well, i just wish i knew how some of these kids got that eldorado WAY back in there a few months back. i know i said some of this before, so plz forgive me.

Check out DC4WD.com I got 2 Yukon ring and pinion sets, 2 Timken master install kits and new carrier for $450 shipped to my door

Go with 4.56 for sure. with a TNT or Clayton kit, I gurantee you will ditch the 31's at some point. Once you start wheeling you won't be able to resist stuffing the largest tire you can fit under your rig. And with the two above mentioned lifts you can surely pass 31's with ease. Spend the money once, not twice.

Back