• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes are shot need help....

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states... heavy rotational vibrations on application, rotors warped, drums questionable. I am inclined to replace all four corners with all new hardwear. I think I know what I need, but in looking for it I am coming up light on equipment for 88 cherokee chiefs... lots of things for 90's and above... is there a real difference... and any recomendations on deals would be great. at this point Im just selling parts I dont really need so that I can by brakes... cause I really do need them. thanks

Last edited:
i would replace pads, rotors, drums, shoes and rear end brake rebuild kit (all the springs needed for rear drum brakes.)

that is if your positive that brakes are the issue.

i would pull the tires off the front before your trip to the parts house and make sure your callipers are not frozen. if they are they will need to be replaced wich takes only an additional five minutes when replaceing pads and rotor. a sign of a frozen caliper can be that one side of the rotor is worn more than the other- like the inside is worn more than the outside. i ran into this problem in my 99 ram.

since i was doing brakes, i replaced everything f/r that i could since it was getting close to time to be done. it didnt set me back too much after the core return for the callipers.

hth
stewie

I was planning on replacing everything... and have budgeted as such but just looking for any deals that you guys know of... I have a dana 30 front and 35 rear. Its a 4.0L 5spd

Souldn't be any problem getting parts. We just did a brake job on an 89 and found all the parts in stock at NAPA. '90 parts should be OK 2.

Check your unit bearings in the front while you're at it. The ones on my other 89 (total of 3 Cherokees) was about to fall apart when I got it with about 165K on the Odometer.

If you gotta replace the UBs, go for the Timkens (others have problems)

Back