• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finding a 97-01' steering column, where to get one and are they compatible to ZJs

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Are 97'-01' steering columns compatible with any year Grand Cherokee? Some thieves stole my Jeep and ripped out the ignition (key, tumbler, lock cylinder) and the glove box so I need to either just get a new tumber/lock cylinder and glove box or a entire steering column and matching glove box with the same key. While 84-96' XJ parts are easy to get at the pick n pull, I've never seen a 97'+ XJ there to pick over, at least not at the general pnps I've been to.

That sucks man, same thing happened to me when i first bought mine. They fucked mine up pretty good. Had to get a new ignition switch, luckily the cylander was cool. The only part i needed was this stupid plastic piece that slides in between and they didnt sell it seperate, it was a part of the column. I would have had to buy the whole freakin steering colomn just to get that part. Luckily i was working at jeep in Roseville and had some TJ steering columns laying around as the result of recalls. I just used one for parts. I live in Sacto too so id be happy to help a fellow XJ brother find a good deal.

91 Jeep Project said:
Do you have a sign on your house that says "Steal My Shit"?

No, but it sure seems that way. I'm moving into a house and getting out of my gated community townhouse. The Jeeps I own are far enough from where I live where the thieves feel that they can take their time and do their crap. I also learned a lesson to tack weld your winch, winch bumper etc so someone cannot just unbolt it and carry it away. My winch and bumper were like 160 lbs, but they can the cajones to steal it from my Jeep parked on the street. I know kee this Jeep in my garage, not wanting anything else stolen off of it.

Does anyone know if a Grand Cherokee steering column is compatible to a XJs? If so what years? I see a person parting out a ZJ in my area and wanted to see if I could do the swap. Also what about the key locks? I see that the thieves broke my rear hatch lock and entered that way into my Jeep. I need all new locks and want to match them to my ignition lock and glove box lock. How generic/specific are door locks on a XJ? I have a 98' will older XJs (84-96') work? I see them all the time at pnp, not newer 97'+ ones.

Looks like you are near Roseville, which is good. Go to J & W auto parts. 10 acres of Jeeps. Its heaven for Jeep owners. Saw lots of late model Granf Cherokees there. More costly than pick n' pull, but then you got someoe else crawling under the car in 109° weather. They are on Antelope Ave.

Nevada City Sparky said:
Looks like you are near Roseville, which is good. Go to J & W auto parts. 10 acres of Jeeps. Its heaven for Jeep owners. Saw lots of late model Granf Cherokees there. More costly than pick n' pull, but then you got someoe else crawling under the car in 109° weather. They are on Antelope Ave.

I know about J&W, they have lots and lots of Jeeps, but high prices, I might just have to do that, but 1st I'm looking to see if anyone if parting out there 97'+ XJs. It is sometime worth spending a little more $ to have a part pulled, but $850 for a XJ rear dana 44 axle is crazy, especially when you can get them for $130. I was quoted $350 for a new steering column from J&W. A good place to look is car-parts.com because they have a very good database and you can specify your search on price as well as location etc.

thanks for the response.

Big Red said:
I know about J&W, they have lots and lots of Jeeps, but high prices, I might just have to do that, but 1st I'm looking to see if anyone if parting out there 97'+ XJs. It is sometime worth spending a little more $ to have a part pulled, but $850 for a XJ rear dana 44 axle is crazy, especially when you can get them for $130. I was quoted $350 for a new steering column from J&W. A good place to look is car-parts.com because they have a very good database and you can specify your search on price as well as location etc.

thanks for the response.

Yeah, all I've bought are rare little parts like skid plates and stuff I can't get locally. I paid $40 for and 89 column, but not at J&W.

Big Red said:
Does anyone know if a Grand Cherokee steering column is compatible to a XJs? Also what about the key locks? I see that the thieves broke my rear hatch lock and entered that way into my Jeep. I need all new locks and want to match them to my ignition lock and glove box lock. How generic/specific are door locks on a XJ? I have a 98' will older XJs (84-96') work? I see them all the time at pnp, not newer 97'+ ones.

I doubt the steering column will swap. Look on car-parts.com for used parts. You will need 1997-2001 XJ parts. If you just need a new ignition cylinder you don't need a whole column.

I have a complete set of locks, rear hatch handle, glove box and one key for a 97-01 XJ. PM me for details

Back