• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what's up with this side panel?

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

My wife's DD is a limited cherokee '92. On a warm day last week a side panel came off spontaneously with the truck parked. It just melted off (outside temps where around 90-95); I've attached a pic to illustrate what panel I mean. Now, is this normal for an older XJ to loose its 'skin' like this? What would be the best stuff to glue this back on?

Thanks! Just curious.
dise2web2.jpg

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~hth63/dise2web2.jpg

Your XJ is aging, and if it had hair that would fall off also. The adhesive eventually ages and losses it grip. Reattach it with 3M brand emblem and trim tape. Most auto makers use this stuff at the factory to permanently glue on trim. NAPA has it and most auto body supply houses have it also.

Had the same problem with my 95 XJ. I thought it looked better without them, so I pulled the rest of them off. I just need to remove the old glue, anybody know what works to remove that gunk?:dunno:

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Thanks guys! Good to hear my senior XJ is not the only one losing its hair to old age! I Like that idea of just taking all that trimming off and leave it that way.

Tim

get rid of it all, sand it off and herculine it

MrShaft696 said:
get rid of it all, sand it off and herculine it

I'm a noob. What is 'to herculine' an object? Wouldn't sanding ruin the paint coat? Or does the 'herculining' fix that? Thanks!

Herculiner is truck bedliner you paint on yourself.

Edit: To answer your question, you have to sand the paint to roughen it up so the herculiner will adhere to it. It's permanent. It's probably not necessary for your wife's daily driver, but it would look badass.

Last edited:
3M also offers the same double sided foam tape used at the factory. Much simpler to apply, and just requires nice clean surfaces to adhere. Look in the paint section at your auto store.

Shavenyak said:
Herculiner is truck bedliner you paint on yourself.

Edit: To answer your question, you have to sand the paint to roughen it up so the herculiner will adhere to it. It's permanent. It's probably not necessary for your wife's daily driver, but it would look badass.

Thanks again guys. Honestly, I think I'll have a hard time selling the herculine-look to my wife. Will either re-attach with the 3M foam tape (thanks for that one) or take them all off, depending on the primary driver's preference.

I used Goo Gone also, you have to rub quite a bit, but it does come off faster than anything else you can use that WON'T hurt the paint.

I agree, the XJ looks better without the trim, especially a base model like mine, that it was nothing more than a black rubber strip, BUT, that does protect you from dings in the parking lot. You may get more dings in the side of the vehicle.

You don't seem to have any rust underneath, which is good. Remove the rest on a hot day....if you get the glue off and it looks great, fantastic. If not, you can sand it and repaint just the bottom sections.

You have to be careful, though......sometimes if you pull that stuff off and there's rust behind it, you'll have some nice holes and stuff.

For you it doesn't look like that'd be the case.

Thanks Blaine. The XJ has very little rust (CA), and I dont expect any under the sticky foam, but will take it real easy. Would prefer not doing any re-painting, especially since my wife will likely not be thrilled about a 'herculine' look on her DD :laugh3:.

Right, but if you painted it glossy black (the XJ is black, right?) you wouldn't be able to see a difference.

Herculine is rough and not not shiny, so I understand why she may not like that....but glossy smooth rustoleum or other spray-can automotive paint would work as well, if you can't get the adhesive off without the paint still looking good, that is.

Pic's not great color-wise. The XJ is actually dark green (with the gold-color rims). I think she would notice it:laugh3:!

Back