• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p1694 DTC issues W/ O2 sensor stuff!

falcotim

NAXJA Forum User
Here is some back ground info about how I found the problem: it's a 98 xj, auto, six cylinder, 4wd.

My cat needed to be replaced, as well as my head pipe fixed. I took it to an exhaust shop, and they fixed both. Turns out that when they fixed the head pipe, it put the upstream o2 sensor too close to the front driveshaft, so during right turns, the shaft would hit the sensor. The check engine light illuminated, and I had five codes, two being o2 sensor related, the other p1694. Took it in, told them it needed adjustment and a new o2 sensor because the heater was probably destroyed. They adjusted it but swore that the o2 sensor was good. I told them that when the check engine light came on again, they would be replacing the sensor. He agreed, and last night the light turned on again.

Now for the fun. So I scanned it, and yes, bank one sensor one heater malfunction, code p0135. Score one for me. But p1694 was back. Before this little issue with the o2 sensor, there were no problems related to p1694.

I know that p1694 is "No CCD/J1850 messages received from the powertrain control module-Aisin transmission."

So I thought that maybe the o2 sensors were on the same fuse. No dice. O2 sensors look to be on their own fuse (anybody have any input on this? I looked at a wiring diagram, but I only see o2 sensors on the applicable fuse.

The jeep runs fine, seems to shift just fine, and there aren't any other indications. This is all in-town driving so far.

So my question is: does any body have any advice concerning this, or had any experience with it?

Thanks

This lack of replies worries me...

But there is an update. The fuse for the o2 sensor heater is linked to something in the transmission. So they are possibly related. I hope so.

Check the O2 sensor wiring itself for shorts, or cross connects in the wires, on the O2 sensor wires and the O2 sensor wiring harness side.

Check the wiring to the transmission near the exhaust mods to see if they damaged or loosened anything else in there. Also check the fusable links that feed the O2 sensor heater circuit as it may feed the transmission controls. One of the O2 sensor wires is a common reference wire connected to the computer, O2 sensor and the TCU along with several other sensors, ref Haynes electrical drawing pg 12-22.

Back