• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine noise

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
Well having a slight problem with my 91 Limited. Little history about it i bought it about two years ago with 87,000 on it. It now has about 134,000. Im now having a engine nosie when i start my jeep. When its has been sitting for about an hour and i start it i hear a knocking sound for about three seconds and then it gose away. My oil preesure is fine. When i did the rear main at 103,000 there was no sluge at all or metel at the bottom of the oil pan. I have always used castrol gtx 10w30. Has anybody had this issue any ideas what it is anyhelp would be greatfull.

Thanks

With it's history prior to your ownership unknown, my best guess is that your engine is just beginning to show it's age. Nothing to fret though. I have the same thing with mine. To get by temporarily, and by temporary I mean you should get another 50 to 75 thousand miles, if not more, out of it until you will need to rebuild or replace, I use Castrol GTX (High Milage) oil and Lucas's Oil Stabilizer to prevent dry starts and help keep the seals moist. I'm not too keen on thickening up my oil too much, so I only use 1/2 quart each oil change. I also use an oversized oil filter. (Instead of a Fram ph-16, I use a Fram PH-8a, the difference is that the ph-8a is longer, thus more filter media.) Remember that this will require slightly more oil to fill.

I know my Jeep's history. I bought it from a friend, who had bought it from a friend. They both took real good care of it. It never saw anything rougher than a dirt road before I got it. I've got 140,000 on it now and I can still read the dipstick through the oil after 4, 000 miles.

Back