• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9"or 10" rear drums on the 8.8?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I need to do the shoes in the back. W/o taking the tires and wheels off to measure how else can I tell? If I buy the shoes and am doing a rear break job what else do you recommend buying? Break fluid of course for the bleeding.

Its a 2000 XJ Sport 4.0 4x4 Thank you.

I'm a little confused by the question and the heading.

If it's the stock axle, (dana 35, Cry. 8.25, or Dana 44) They should all have the same size brakes. Go to the auto parts store, give them year and engine size, they will have the parts.

If it's a Ford 8.8, you would have to know what year truck it came out of, or measure the drum.

On a lot of drum brakes, the size is cast into the outer rim of the drum, and might be able to be seen through the slots on the wheel.

OH crap I was thinking about a the Ford 8.8 I have at home, but I was actually wanting breaks for my 8.25 Crysler rear end.

Both places I looked Online and at the Auto Parts Store asked if it was a 9" or 10" drum so that is what I need to find out. I looked through the wheel but I can see nothing on the breaks.

tbburg said:
I'm a little confused by the question and the heading.

If it's the stock axle, (dana 35, Cry. 8.25, or Dana 44) They should all have the same size brakes. Go to the auto parts store, give them year and engine size, they will have the parts.

Not true, there where 9" and 10" drums used. The auto parts store(NAPA) can not tell you what you have. I believe the only whay to tell is to measure.

Just measure the width of the drum with a tape measure..I had this problem when I was doing the brakes on my '88 because I had swapped in a '92? axle, the only place I went that actually asked for the brake width was Auto Value. I am pretty sure the shoes are all the same size though, I compared the few sets I had and they all seemed to be the same size.
You can measure with the tires on too, just get a tape measure behind the tires, your tires shouldn't really be in the way of measuring.
And since you asked what to reccomend buying, just buy everything and a little extra. Rear wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware kit, AND extra brake line, just in case it snaps coming out of the rear wheel cylinder.
Good luck!

Almost all of the latest 8.25 have 9" brakes. I haven't seen a 10" in a while.
On the part list I have, only "Police Package" shows 10" rear brakes

Rafa said:
Almost all of the latest 8.25 have 9" brakes. I haven't seen a 10" in a while.
On the part list I have, only "Police Package" shows 10" rear brakes

Good to know! I'll measure just to be sure =)

My jeep does attract police, so maybe they are 10"? j/k:lickout:

XJLaredo said:
Not true, there where 9" and 10" drums used. The auto parts store(NAPA) can not tell you what you have. I believe the only whay to tell is to measure.

Yep, just get out and measure them. Last time I went to get new brakes the guy asked and I was like "I dunno", so he went out there and measured them. He said they were 10" so that's what I bought, I have a 1998 Sport 4dr 4wd I6 btw.

fdsa487 said:
W/o taking the tires and wheels off to measure how else can I tell? If I buy the shoes and am doing a rear break job what else do you recommend buying?
i take it your not doing the re haul on the brakes. stop being lazy, take the drum and a couple shoes with u to the store!!

fdsa487 said:
I need to do the shoes in the back. W/o taking the tires and wheels off to measure how else can I tell? If I buy the shoes and am doing a rear break job what else do you recommend buying? Break fluid of course for the bleeding.

Its a 2000 XJ Sport 4.0 4x4 Thank you.
The front of the drum should have a maximum diameter stamped into it that it can be cut to.This will tell you. Also, if all your doing is shoes, you won't need to bleed, this is not nessecary unless you break the lines open.(though you might have to top off the fluid. A hard ware kit is a good idea also, if you haven't done this already. Springs and retainers do wear out and break...good luck!

bfred said:
The front of the drum should have a maximum diameter stamped into it that it can be cut to.This will tell you. Also, if all your doing is shoes, you won't need to bleed, this is not nessecary unless you break the lines open.(though you might have to top off the fluid. A hard ware kit is a good idea also, if you haven't done this already. Springs and retainers do wear out and break...good luck!

I pulled the drum and looked at the breaks. There were still totally fine about 1/4 of shoe left so I cleaned it out with some break cleaner and adjusted them. MUCH BETTER and I didn't even need breaks! I throught that the rear drums were auto adjusting so I never concerned myself with adjustments on them.

Back