• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential protection

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen both diff skid plates and beefed up diff covers. The diff skid do not appear to cover the entire front of the differential. Which implement affords the most protection in an xj that is stock to near stock height?

The most protection would IMO be a crane cover or similiar. But a dif guard will provide adequate coverage as well and be lots less expensive. All you're trying to do is keep the thin differential cover from getting pushed back into the ring gear on those occasions that you hit a rock with the dif.

x2 on the RuffStuff. Nothin wrong with overkill:cool: Dan is a great guy to work with also.

Can't go wrong with a Crane. Will bolt flush to the diff, no lip and give some support to the housing as well.

Rob

x2 on northridge, will match anyones quote and free shipping over 100 bucks

bcmaxx said:
x2 on northridge, will match anyones quote and free shipping over 100 bucks

being that I'm about an hour from them that free shipping is overnight for me

I like my poison spider rock ring. The ring prevents cover peel, and the bolts are counter sunk so they don't get rock rash. Very simple and plenty of protection. All you really need is protection for the ring gear, and cover peel.

I'm pretty happy wth my Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds. Very similar to PSC rock Rings, but a lot less expensive.
http://www.badapplefab.com/
Picture059.jpg

Xmas20063-2.jpg

If you have a welder and a grinder you can make one. I bought an extra D30 diff cover for $10 at the local junkyard, cut it in half, then cut the ring off the upper half along with a 1/4" strip that followed the contours, then used that ring & strip as spacers so it is 3/8" thick across the middle and at the bottom, with two 1/8" layers everywhere else spaced apart just a hair. The bottom half is where you need the protection, it's not necessary on the top half since your tie rod will get hit first anyways.

Click for larger pics:

Just ordered my d30 cover from ruffstuff, looks way beefy and call me lazy.. i got the drain plug along w countersunk fasteners. Cant wait to see it. For the 8.25 i got a new stock Durango cover, Which is much heavier duty than the stamped stock crap.

mjd99xj said:
Just ordered my d30 cover from ruffstuff, looks way beefy and call me lazy.. i got the drain plug along w countersunk fasteners. Cant wait to see it. For the 8.25 i got a new stock Durango cover, Which is much heavier duty than the stamped stock crap.

How much heavier duty is the Durango Diff. Cover? I can get a new one for $25.

mjd99xj said:
Just ordered my d30 cover from ruffstuff, looks way beefy and call me lazy.. i got the drain plug along w countersunk fasteners. Cant wait to see it.

I got the same one--it is very nice. The 8.8 he sent, however, was FUBAR and I've yet (going on 3 weeks) to get my replacement. Of course, this is the last part I need to finish the 8.8 project--sigh!

If you're going to order one, I'd get ruffstuff also, that's what I run on my rear 44 cause the stock cover isn't thick enough to even beef up.

I got a Rockcrusher/Solid cover for my 30 in a raffle, so far it has held up really well. I also ordered a cover from Ruffstuff for my 8.25. It is VERY heavy duty. I haven't had any problems with it and don't foresee any in the future. Plus Dan is a real nice guy and will go out of his way to make sure you are happy.

Back