• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts donation?

hellbilly04

NAXJA Forum User
Had an idea for So Cal members so let me know what you think.

I have an old Home Depot trailer sitting in my back yard & was thinking about making a trail clean up trailer out of it or to just have some extra room on trip-run. Wandering if anyone would like to donate some parts to project & it will be free to use for ANY Sol Cal member any time it's needed, it's registered for street use as well & donate it the chapter if anyone shows interest!

Here is what I have so far:

Two 35 MTR's, a complete frame, axle & lights.

Here's what's needed: Two 15x8 5 5/12 steel wheels, Plywood for box, extra steel to reinforce the frame a bit. Military hitch or some type hitch that can take abuse. If anyone is interested in donating parts or would like to help out with the project let me know. Going to get started on it in a few weeks.

hellbilly04 said:
Had an idea for So Cal members so let me know what you think.

I have an old Home Depot trailer sitting in my back yard & was thinking about making a trail clean up trailer out of it or to just have some extra room on trip-run. Wandering if anyone would like to donate some parts to project & it will be free to use for ANY Sol Cal member any time it's needed, it's registered for street use as well & donate it the chapter if anyone shows interest!

Here is what I have so far:

Two 35 MTR's, a complete frame, axle & lights.

Here's what's needed: Two 15x8 5 5/12 steel wheels, Plywood for box, extra steel to reinforce the frame a bit. Military hitch or some type hitch that can take abuse. If anyone is interested in donating parts or would like to help out with the project let me know. Going to get started on it in a few weeks.

I have 3 older full sheets of plywood. I will check the thickness, but you can have them.

Just need to come an d pick them up. they will not fit in the XJ... LOL

rpraterxj said:
I have 3 older full sheets of plywood. I will check the thickness, but you can have them.

Just need to come an d pick them up. they will not fit in the XJ... LOL

Cool Iif their 1/2 or thicker i'll takem. If' it's ok might be a few weeks till I can get over your way for p/u.

hey bill my bro wants to take his draw-tie trailer hitch off his ZJ. Im not sure of the specs on it but it could ba a good base to start with. Ill go up and take a look at it tonight...

If you can go with a rotating pintle setup on the trailer end that'd be cool. It's pretty common and works VERY well. It worked great on my M416 last weekend.

Get some shocks on the trailer!

If you want any pointers on things just fire away. I can always look at the M416 and let you know.

swbooking said:
hey bill my bro wants to take his draw-tie trailer hitch off his ZJ. Im not sure of the specs on it but it could ba a good base to start with. Ill go up and take a look at it tonight...

That would be sweet... Let me know.

GSequoia said:
If you can go with a rotating pintle setup on the trailer end that'd be cool. It's pretty common and works VERY well. It worked great on my M416 last weekend.

Get some shocks on the trailer!

If you want any pointers on things just fire away. I can always look at the M416 and let you know.

I'd couldn't think of the name "Rotating pintle hitch" thanks!
I saw a few pics of your trailer on the BB clean up, way cool. Any pointers you can offer would be great!

As for shocks I was thinking about using the Rancho 9000's I'm taking off my rig. What's the benni of shocks on a trailer? Cool factor.. :lecture:

hellbilly04 said:
Cool Iif their 1/2 or thicker i'll takem. If' it's ok might be a few weeks till I can get over your way for p/u.

It's 1/2" !!!

Just let me know when you want to come and get it!

Also, there is a house on my street with an old trailer for FREE!!!

If anyone is interested, I will take a pick of it and find out some info....

hellbilly04 said:
I'd couldn't think of the name "Rotating pintle hitch" thanks!
I saw a few pics of your trailer on the BB clean up, way cool. Any pointers you can offer would be great!

As for shocks I was thinking about using the Rancho 9000's I'm taking off my rig. What's the benni of shocks on a trailer? Cool factor.. :lecture:
Here is what you want:

12675tp5l.gif

It's available form McMaster, part number 12675T85. Plenty of other places have it as well, likely for nicer prices (this one is about $50 and is rated at 15,000 pounds), just keep your eye out.

I'd put the swiveling pintle eye on the trailer end instead of using a rotating pintle hook, that way it's more versitle for tow rigs (that way you can tow it with a wider range of vehicles).

Also; another good thing to do is to also put accomidations for a standard ball hitch (perhaps using hte existing coupler). That way if you ever have to tow it with a smaller vehicle for your own on-road purposes you can just use a lift-hitch. (I have one for the 416).

GrimmJeeper said:
if you ever break a light lens or need a marker light let me know :D i got tons of em at work.

On that note I would go with simple trailer lights that are round (you can pick them up at Kragen cheap, they're about 3" or 4" around. THen I'd sink them into some round tube with the end of the tube sticking about 1/2" further than the lens. This will keep your housings from getting beat on rocks.

I'd then put some simple red clearance lamps on top of the fenders, inboarded about 1" to keep them clear of rocks. The fender lamps are nice when towing at night becuase you can see where the trailer sides are.

You don't want to have to constantly change lamps ;)

PS. I might have some lamps I can give to you in the garage but won't be able to donate them until I get the 416 properly through the DMV as I'll possibly need them for the inspection. I'll let you know.

GSequoia said:
Here is what you want:

12675tp5l.gif

It's available form McMaster, part number 12675T85. Plenty of other places have it as well, likely for nicer prices (this one is about $50 and is rated at 15,000 pounds), just keep your eye out.

I'd put the swiveling pintle eye on the trailer end instead of using a rotating pintle hook, that way it's more versitle for tow rigs (that way you can tow it with a wider range of vehicles).

Also; another good thing to do is to also put accomidations for a standard ball hitch (perhaps using hte existing coupler). That way if you ever have to tow it with a smaller vehicle for your own on-road purposes you can just use a lift-hitch. (I have one for the 416).

stuip question, how does that work with a standard ball hitch?

GSequoia said:
PS. I might have some lamps I can give to you in the garage but won't be able to donate them until I get the 416 properly through the DMV as I'll possibly need them for the inspection. I'll let you know.

Cool, not in a hurry for lights but will take you up on the offer.. I also like your mounting idea mentioned above. Keep the ideas coming!

hellbilly04 said:
stuip question, how does that work with a standard ball hitch?

It doesn't ;)

What you do in your design stage is keep provisions for a BOLT ON standard ball hitch coupler (it doesn't have to rotate like that does, it'd be mainly for street duty or extra mild trails, only on vehciles that are too low to properly line up the pintle; I'm going on the assumption that your frame will be a bit higher than stock. My M416's lunette/pintle sits at either 23" or 26").

That will only work with a pintle (or combination ball/pintle), I prefer a straight receiver pintle hook with no conversion plate. They're a bit spendy ($75) but will work on just about any vehicle and you won't get hung up on a big pintle plate.

Here is how I rock it (by pure chance the center of my receiver is almost a dead on 26" so I'm golden).

IMG_0088.jpg

Also. When setting up the intravehicular cable it's nice to have it long enough (and secured well to keep it out of the way, that's what the zip tie on mine is for) to allow you to jack knife the truck and trailer in case you should need to (for example I can't get my tire carrier open with the trailer hooked up unless I jack knife it). Don't forget to make the chains long enough for this! Another tip on the chains is to make them BOLT ON at the trailer side. That way if you do roll over the trailer you can remove the chains by unbolting them if they get too twisted up to unhook them (ask Cal).

GSequoia said:
It doesn't ;)

What you do in your design stage is keep provisions for a BOLT ON standard ball hitch coupler (it doesn't have to rotate like that does, it'd be mainly for street duty or extra mild trails, only on vehciles that are too low to properly line up the pintle; I'm going on the assumption that your frame will be a bit higher than stock. My M416's lunette/pintle sits at either 23" or 26").

That will only work with a pintle (or combination ball/pintle), I prefer a straight receiver pintle hook with no conversion plate. They're a bit spendy ($75) but will work on just about any vehicle and you won't get hung up on a big pintle plate.

Here is how I rock it (by pure chance the center of my receiver is almost a dead on 26" so I'm golden).

IMG_0088.jpg

Also. When setting up the intravehicular cable it's nice to have it long enough (and secured well to keep it out of the way, that's what the zip tie on mine is for) to allow you to jack knife the truck and trailer in case you should need to (for example I can't get my tire carrier open with the trailer hooked up unless I jack knife it). Don't forget to make the chains long enough for this! Another tip on the chains is to make them BOLT ON at the trailer side. That way if you do roll over the trailer you can remove the chains by unbolting them if they get too twisted up to unhook them (ask Cal).

Ok I was scratching my head trying to figure out the hell that woked with a standard ball. That toung on your trailer looks freaking beeffy.. I was planning on setting it up for a rig with at least 5-6 inch lift & 35's cause that's about where I sit & have noting ele to build off.

GSequoia said:
On that note I would go with simple trailer lights that are round (you can pick them up at Kragen cheap

or you can get them from napa (me) FREE

F kragen. shame on you sequoia

:D

Jump This said:
Ease up on Geoff....he's....um....well......different....ya know?

:D

Everybody in the SoCal Chapter is a bit off.

Back