• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck Tie rod

thobson

NAXJA Forum User
I can't get the tie rod off the passenger side, that's out of the drag link. Anyone have any idea befre I just sazall it off on the drag link side and then have to drill out the bolt? Also can I replace that with a heim joint instead of a traditional tie rod end?

You could remove the entire setup and get it on a solid supported surface and "persuade" ;) it with s BFH.

One trick that works very well is using two hammers. Strike the drag link on opposite sides SIMULTANEOUSLY where the tie rod is centered. After a couple good solid whacks the TRE should "POP" right out.

GOOD LUCK,
CW

cwlongshot said:
You could remove the entire setup and get it on a solid supported surface and "persuade" ;) it with s BFH.

One trick that works very well is using two hammers. Strike the drag link on opposite sides SIMULTANEOUSLY where the tie rod is centered. After a couple good solid whacks the TRE should "POP" right out.

GOOD LUCK,
CW
Then, promptly, bandage knuckles on both hamds and proceed to the nearest hospital.....

OT said:
Then, promptly, bandage knuckles on both hamds and proceed to the nearest hospital.....

Correct if you cant swing a hammer!!!!!

Doing this messes with the integrety of the steel in the draglink. (Dosent hurt a thing) Steel is springy by nature, striking from both sides will pop free the tightest TRE.

You yourself suggested whacking the draglink.....whats that gonna do????

CW

Use a pitman arm puller if you are replacing the tie rod end. If not, the puller's feet will likely ruin the boot.

With a BFH, hit the knuckle where the TRE goes through. This trick works every time. And it won't hurt the boot or the threads. Don't use a dead blow hammer. Metal to metal contact to release the tapperd seat.

cwlongshot said:
Correct if you cant swing a hammer!!!!!

You yourself suggested whacking the draglink.....whats that gonna do????

CW
Because, I can't swing a hammer acurately, much less two at the same time, toward eachother.:wierd:

OT said:
Because, I can't swing a hammer acurately, much less two at the same time, toward eachother.:wierd:

Now I need some papertowels...theres coke all over my puter screen!!!

You's a funny funny man!!! I like the smile too!!! Gonna steal it!!

But seriously, if you have depth percetion and as well as some good aim, this two hammer trick really works!!!

CW

Back