• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

critique this built

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
ok..so ive had this cherokee a little over a year, and ive built it up from bone stock, and done everything myself, so now im getting into the harder/more meaningful stuff if you would. hers how she sits now. minus a snorkel. dont worry..im not building a pavement pounder, my friend who works at a car wash gave me a free 80 dollar wax/compound
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4348602
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4348601
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4348600

specs

dana 30 w/aussie
chry 8.25 open
6 in homebrew. pretty happy with it, flexes great
35s
hercd interior
and some other stuff i may be missing, but look at the pics, and youll get a good idea

anyways heres where the "build" part comes in

i just bought a 97 8.8 with 3:55s. i want to put an aussie in it, and leave the gears ALONE FOR THE SUMMER. basically i have 2 options finance wise. i can regear the rear to 5:13, and not have 4WD for the summer. but that would be no fun. or i can leave it, lock it, and just use 4-low like i have been for a while. ive got a friend whos selling a wagoneer dana 44 driverside drop for 125. now im thinking this is my best bet, as long as they can be geared to 5:13. also after the axle is done, i want to install rockkrawler gen3 tri-link, and that will be pretty much it for the summer

im thinking ill get the rear, and long arms done this summer, and get the front d44 built, and regear f/r next summer

hows this sound:peace:

@ 6" of lift are your controls still in stock location. That has to be hell on the front end. I was @ 4.5", hitting bumps would make my kidneys hurt. You can go with the RE drop brackets/ support braces. Looking back on it for what I put into mine I should have just went out and got a long arm setup. That's my too cents. Looks nice.

My bad looks like you have a long arm setup in mind with the 3 link. Didn't catch that right away. I would regear and install locker at same time. Killing two birds with one stone. Also build up the 8.8 to the point of satisfaction then just install when ready.

well im going off to college after this summer, so i want to enjoy the Xj as much as possible, and during my summer home, i might as well have some projects for it. so i would regear, and lock at the same time, but im not throwing any money into the d30. and pulling the axle to have it regeared really wont be a big deal for me

if your gonna do any kind of rock crawlin with those 35's doin something with your steering would definetly be up there with things to do. with the waggy 44 it would be easy to run and clear a do it yourself type steering from poison spyder customs using all heims. did it to mine using 1.5" DOM .250 tube and 3/4" heims. im turnin 33's
hope this helps.

yea..steering is on the list of things to do. i dont do rocks any really...there aren't really any around here, and when i have found them i dont find it all that fun. im more of a trail, hill climb, mud guy

You must not be going to the right places! There are quite a few places up there with some nice rocks. I mean they aren't Mohab rocks but at least its something. Try looking at Shoe Creek, Flag Pole and Big Levels if you want to try rocks again.

is your buddy's waggy axle vac disco style? if so then back away, just another headache you want to avoid.

and yes you can get 5:13's for that 44.

and you guys arent far from rausch creek, all the rocks you will ever need are there.

another thing you need to look into is the waggy axle will be 6 lug while the 8.8 is 5x4.5.

easiest way to correct this would probably be ford 5 on 5.5" hubs on the waggy axle and wheel adapters/spacers converting the 5 on 4.5 lugs to 5 on 5.5" for the 8.8

Back