• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found a 4.0 L

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 4.0L with 98000 miles out of a XJ same year as mine 2000 XJ I might need a new motor if I do should I get it it runs its coming out of a wreck

check head casting number, that year model had a problem with heads cracking, do a quick search for something like "2000 year cracked head" there is much discussion about which should help you reach a decision, other than that, the 4.0 is pretty bullet proof and you can hardly go wrong. post back with your findings and/or do your search. I had a similar decision to make and found the help i needed with a brief search here

avnsteve said:
check head casting number, that year model had a problem with heads cracking, do a quick search for something like "2000 year cracked head" there is much discussion about which should help you reach a decision, other than that, the 4.0 is pretty bullet proof and you can hardly go wrong. post back with your findings and/or do your search. I had a similar decision to make and found the help i needed with a brief search here

where should I look that up I google search I did not find anything

just search 0331 head... you do not want an xj with a 0331 head because you run a 50% chance of the head going to crack. you really want a 4.0 from 99 and older and you'll be all set. i bought my 2000 xj and just reached 70000 and the head is cracked so now going to fit it with a 0630 head and exhaust poort adapter so i only have to change the head.

mtsz52784 said:
just search 0331 head... you do not want an xj with a 0331 head because you run a 50% chance of the head going to crack. you really want a 4.0 from 99 and older and you'll be all set. i bought my 2000 xj and just reached 70000 and the head is cracked so now going to fit it with a 0630 head and exhaust poort adapter so i only have to change the head.

do all 2000 XJs have 0331 heads and if it does what head can I put in without puting exhaust poort adapter??

the last of the xj's (2000 & 2001) have the 0331 head... the exhaust port adapter isnt something you can buy, but has to be made from a machine shop, and is something to help the bigger ports size down to the 0331. go to the top and search about 0331 head or cracked 0331

mtsz52784 said:
the last of the xj's (2000 & 2001) have the 0331 head... the exhaust port adapter isnt something you can buy, but has to be made from a machine shop, and is something to help the bigger ports size down to the 0331. go to the top and search about 0331 head or cracked 0331

I got the part # off of the 4.0L 53010334 is that a good # or not I hade it run and thats what they gave me

Won't he also have to get some kind of adapter for where the ignition rail will need to mount on the 0630 head, since the 0630 head was used with plug wires?

yep sorry forgot to mention that also... i do have pictures of what they all look like thanks to a friend here on NAXJA that is getting me hooked up with my 0630 head and all brackets...PM me with your email and i can email you pictures of everything from the rail to the design difference of the exhaust ports

0630 heads were in 96-99 if your looking at the engine look at the 3rd back cylinder on the drivers side on top of the head but right below the valve cover you can see 4 numbers... if the wrangler has a straight 6 4.0 then it should work.

i dont really know... you would have to utilize the search function, and i think this is the most common way if you are changing your head to a different one.

My 2000 has the 0331 head also (they all did) that has cracked and is leaking coolant into the oil. I picked up a 0630 head to put on it. The exhaust ports are bigger and give a little better performance, but I got the stock header for that year also (to match the exhaust ports). The 2000 headers are heavy cast iron, and the earlier ones are tubuler like performance headers. The manifolds are known for cracking themselves, but that seems to be due mostly to worn out motor mounts. The coil rail adaptation is minor. Got the head for $50 and the header for $10. One other thing -- the tail end of the header will need to be adapted into the old exhaust system before the catalytic convertor. Might be a good time to take the money I saved and have a stainless system bent up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935856&highlight=0331+head

Last edited:
Back