• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkels??

Yeah, it's pretty special...

....Especially in Southern California.

Good thing we don't have any members with snorkels here! I hear that sometimes they come with chickens too :confused:

UH.... having a snorkel removal party this weekend..... uh.. I'll supply the beer and chicken.

Also, 22" spinners for sale. Any takers?

anyone?

You only need snorkles in states where they have WATER... California has to pipe theirs in from Colorado the last I heard!!:read:

Ok, I'm the first guy to point and laugh at someone, but every once in a while you see a guy who spends enough time in the dust and sand to make a snorkle worth having. Ok granted the last time I saw conditions like that was in Iraq, and unless someone lived in the sand at glamis, there isn't much need here. My point isn't to stop people from bashing snorkles, but to make sure they are bashing them for the right reason. The idea of a snorkle for water crossing is just stupid to me, if water got up to the factory location of the intake, you're probibly already sailing away. Let the bashing continue!

XJ858 said:
Ok, I'm the first guy to point and laugh at someone, but every once in a while you see a guy who spends enough time in the dust and sand to make a snorkle worth having. Ok granted the last time I saw conditions like that was in Iraq, and unless someone lived in the sand at glamis, there isn't much need here. My point isn't to stop people from bashing snorkles, but to make sure they are bashing them for the right reason. The idea of a snorkle for water crossing is just stupid to me, if water got up to the factory location of the intake, you're probibly already sailing away. Let the bashing continue!

I don't see how a "Dorkel" would help in the dust and sand of the desert. If that was the case desert racers would use them. In my JS my intake is ran into the cab near the co-drivers feet. This will keep alot of debris from clogging the filter and provide cooler air. I maybe missing something, can you elaborate on how a snorkel mite help?

NRT_Chris said:
I don't see how a "Dorkel" would help in the dust and sand of the desert. If that was the case desert racers would use them. In my JS my intake is ran into the cab near the co-drivers feet. This will keep alot of debris from clogging the filter and provide cooler air. I maybe missing something, can you elaborate on how a snorkel mite help?
x2 :huh:

NRT_Chris said:

The theory is that in a dusty environment the extre height of the filter keeps it out of the dust.

In reality when I'm in a pack of Jeeps on a dustry trail the dust is higher than a filter will be....

Also some poeple flip the intake of the snorkle around backward to minimize direct dust injection. I don't really think this helps much either.

Personally to me the best way to minimize dust, aside from routing intake into the cab, is to put it under the hood where it will have less direct dust access.

One of my friends from MJR (you know who you are) had just put a snorkle on his XJ. Decided he was going to make it across some shallows of Lake Isabella to a little island near shore. You could see the bottom, not even waist deep. On 33's and RE 4.5 it was going to be a piece of cake to get a poser shot on the little island. Well the second the tailpipe went under, the engine died, and it had been well revved up too. As he climbed out the window to wade back for a tow line, the shriek confermed that the lake was all fresh snow melt! His voice didn't come back down untill many hours later that day, and his sig got a "what's that funny smell?" line added to it soon after.
My fond memories of a "Dorkle".

RobertF said:
One of my friends from MJR (you know who you are) had just put a snorkle on his XJ. Decided he was going to make it across some shallows of Lake Isabella to a little island near shore. You could see the bottom, not even waist deep. As he climbed out the window to wade back for a tow line, the shriek confermed that the lake was all fresh snow melt!

Boulder Gulch, or French Gulch?

yea, they are weak

snorkels are for divers

It was by Boulder Gulch, where the underwater Boral cannal was on the otherside of the little island.
My friend's XJ had a large diameter tailpipe, and as far as we could figure, water back-filled the muffler and choked the motor off.
Would not start untill the tailpipe was above water and it shot out about five gallons of it, then ran fine, my friend, on the other hand, was in a state of shock!

You could fix the intake AND exhaust problems by routing the exhaust pipe to the snorkel.:doh:

Back