• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok Temp help again

Prowler

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 XJ is starting to get under my skin because it has me beat.
I want to get my XJ cooler. It shouldn't be near the 3/4 line on the gage.
I popped hood today and seen that after the jeep was hot the over flow bottle was still full.?.? Should it be or should some fluid been gone?

The jeep gets hotter in town at low speeds and idle. I put on power transmission and brought the jeep up to 80 the whole way home. I noticed it took longer for the jeep to get hotter. It stayed at 210 on the bi-pass.

When it cools down I am going to take radiator cap off and look.

So if I replace my radiator, t-stat to 180*, fan clutch, also run toggle from electric fan, all hoses, and the water pump the jeep cooling system should be normal?
:eyes:

I would start with the t-stat, and radiator. Man, I was idlilng at 210 and it only went up from there for a long time. I replaced the thermostat with little difference, maybe 10 degrees or so. THEN I got a radiator (Kragen special with a 2 year warranty, I think it was 160 or so), and man oh man did it run cooler! Now I run just above the first line almost constantly, unless pulling a hill in near 100 degree heat, then it creeps up to just below 210, but no hotter! That's my advice, it's the best 200 bucks you'll ever spend!

what have you done to the cooling system thus far?

the first step i would recommend is a full cooling system flush. I recommend adding a gallon of regular white vinegar to the coolant bottle and running it for a week like that. the vinegar will help loosen some of the deposits in the cooling system. then take off the lower radiator hose draining the system. with a regular garden hose flush the radiator from the top down repeatedly until you get a good constant flow of clean water. remove the heater hoses from the water pump. (make sure that you left your heater on the hottest setting opening up your heater core) and flush out the heater core from both hoses. a lot of crud can build up in there and cause a blockage in other parts of the system. once you think you have it good, keep going and repeat once or twice.

after that is done, it would be a great chance to replace any part of the cooling system that is in need of it- hoses, water pump, t-stat, etc.

make sure all hose connections are tight and refill with proper solution of coolant.

if you havent flushed for a while, it can do wonders.

It was flushed right before winter hit. I am eventually gonna have this Jeep rebuilt completely so I might as well just buy new things if I'm gonna fix. Skwerly, where did you get your radiator???

Back