• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Differential knocking... help.

ubipa

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Sport

A few weeks ago the front end started clicking after the car was warmed up when I applied the brakes lightly.. now, it will continue to do this but also now jerking back and forth lightly (kinda of a knock and pop) at light acceleration from a stop. It doesn't occur when cold and not at regular speeds, just either on a light braking or light acceleration. What the heck is going on?! I checked bushings, ball joints, track bar, and steering and they all look ok. I have isolated it to the driver's side front wheel. the only thing I can find is that with only that wheel jacked up I can occasionally get it to occur after banging on the tire/wheel a bit.. what happens is if I'm spinning the tire/wheel a ton of resistant builds and then a pop like the differential is sticking then pops into the next gear. It comes and goes.

Anyone know the differential enough to tell me what might be going on? A bad bearing, a warn shim... help.

I've got the exact symtoms on my 92 (206K miles). I'm hoping its a front axle ujoint. You could pull your front drive shaft, drive without it for awhile, and see if you still have the problem. If you do, that will eliminate the xfer case.(I haven't made time to do this on mine yet) Let us know what you find.

Back