• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

get this

B

brianb2247

I called the local jeep dealer here in tacoma, wa to find out a price on a rear main seal replacement , they quoted me 775, their nuts and the labor they said it would take is 5.5 hours.

brianb2247 said:
I called the local jeep dealer here in tacoma, wa to find out a price on a rear main seal replacement , they quoted me 775, their nuts and the labor they said it would take is 5.5 hours.

I think its called roberts jeep will do it for about 480. I'm getting mine all finished up right now (at a different shop) along with a couple other things but i wouldn't recomend the shop as they are giving me the run around.

Tom

I changed my seal a few years ago not nowing the first thing about it just using a crappy haynes manual. Saved a lot of money, and learned more about my rig.

Do it yourself for less than half the price, including parts and TOOLS (if you don't have any). ;) You take the pan off to do it, so change your oil at the same time... :D I did mine about 7 years ago right after I bought my Jeep and it was on a budget boost. Took me about 6 hours to do, having never tackled a job that 'in depth' before. I had just bought my set of tools and a Chilton's manual...and the part was only like $8 from the local parts house in El Paso, TX. Go figure. :D

As has been said, the parts are about $10-$20 including the tool you need. As long as your labor is free it really isn't all that bad, but it is not a "fun" job in my book. I love working on my jeep, but that is not my favorite job.

The larger the lift the easier it is.

I recommend reading 5-90's report on how to do it.
And also replace the oil pan gasket with a new 1 piece style at the same time.

I think it took me about 4-6 hours to do it, a number of years ago.
My brother (professional mechanic) can do it in much less time.

Michael

I would have done it all myself if i didn't have a couple other things go wrong. such as the last person to do the oil pan gasket used so much RTV i had to essentially destroy the oil pan by prying at it so much in order to get it off. That and the threads on a couple bolt holes on the bottom of the block are the only reasons i'm having a shop even touch the rig, I just go tired of messing with it after fighting with that oil pan for 6 or so hours.....

Tom

Back