• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre 96, fender trimming for bumper?

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 97 cherokee, and my friends got a 91 with a little lift and 31's, I just built a front bumper for his, and today was the day we were gonna mount it up, and get it all finished up. Ive been using my 97 as the template for it because I thought everything was the same. turns out I overlooked the front fender area. On the pre 96's the fender comes down a lot farther in front the the later years. I don't really want to just jump in and cut it all off like the 97's are, but I can't really see a way around it. if we leave it like that, its going to look like shit. I searched and couldn't find anything on this topic, So does anyone have any pics of how they cut the fenders to accomodate and aftermarket front bumper? Any tips would be very helpful as I don't want to mess up my friends whole front end.

I wish I new were it was on here, but I saw a pic were a guy had trimmed the fender and flare perfectly even with the bottom of the bumper. I'd say just cut it even. If you do it right it will look slick. Try searching custom bumper and look at the pics.

cut your fender, fold your fender it'll be ok

and theres plenty of step by step how-to's....

this has been covered so many times it makes the fact that you said you searched a joke

no, its a joke you had to make a post to point out that its a joke...yet if there are so many out there, you could have thrown up a couple of links in .02 seconds and helped the guy out. Good job xcm

CV95XJ, I tried searching (front fender trimming) and couldn't find much - a few pics here and there, but nothing specifically for the pre 97 body style and how they trimmed their body/fenders...but no "plenty of step by step how to's"....sorry bud...

if you want to ask questions on this site, you'll need to grow a thick skin and get used to people cursing your darkness rather than offering you light..... good luck

JNickel101 said:
no, its a joke you had to make a post to point out that its a joke...yet if there are so many out there, you could have thrown up a couple of links in .02 seconds and helped the guy out. Good job xcm

How about mine from just a few days ago. There are some pics posted as well. Most think the cut should be even with the bottom of the grill and I agree. I plan to redo mine this weekend. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=917725

Oh ya, I do remember seeing that.....but its the only one to my knowledge :)

You did a really nice job, is that a saws-all or angle grinder? And did you eventually take it up flush with the bottom of the grill?

thanks ratherbcamping, thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks jnickel for the backup, I did 2 searches before hand, and with dial up, its so slow going, its just easier to make a post and be done with it. xcm, you even made a post in ratherbcampings thread, and you couldn't even bring it up, man your the joke.

I used an angle grinder...

HPIM0935.jpg

JNickel101 said:
You did a really nice job, is that a saws-all or angle grinder? And did you eventually take it up flush with the bottom of the grill?

I used a 4" grinder and a metal cutting wheel. Used the saw on the first flare, but used a sharp utility knife on the other side with better results.

No, is still need to rework the front end and trim higher. Hope to have some time this weekend. I also need to mount my rear bumper with the OEM tire mount. Still have a lot of plans for the XJ, but too many other projects.

There's a really good fender trim write-up in the FAQ section.

you cant view this site for 2 weeks without seeing 4 new fender hack topics...
OH LOOK, THERES ONE NOW
i did actually do a search for you... and it was a waste of my time (i realized this half way through)

BTW: what good does posting a side view picture do to educate someone on how to do anything?

Last edited:
Back