• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil problems

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
Im having problems with my oil pressure. It used to drop to 0 at a stop and when stepped on the gas it would go up to about 40. I put a new oil pump, screen and oil pressure sensor in but it still drops inbetween 0 and 40 and when I step on the gas it will go back up to 40 but I have not seen it go to 0 yet. Is this normal for the pressure to bounce around? help me out.

Last edited:
the oil pressure will be fine when I start it up and drive for a couple miles and it will start droping I do have a fran oil filter

Verify your pressure with a mechanical gauge. If you're really down to zero it's time for a rebuild. but then again, who knows how long it could run before it blows up. Just have another 4.0 or mode of transport ready.

Just run a 40 weight oil and you'll fix the problem. Sounds like you have a little bit of bearing wear. Not enough that I'd rebuild it.

Blaine B. said:
It's funny how people have so many problems with Fram filters but I've been seeing new commercials for Fram stating that it's the number one oil filter..

They're number one in sales because they are the cheapest. They're the cheapest because they use cheap parts. People are generally pretty stupid, at least in my experiences.

:spam:

They are the number one purchased filter on the market... mainly because you see ads everywhere for them...

But as others has mentioned a ton of times at other topics... their construction is less then stellar... they will work for most application, but for most with older engines where oil pressure issues come up more often then not I would say stay away... they have a tendency of working for a short time then quitting

well I just found out that I need a new motor I have a crack block lol shit its a 2000 XJ I put a 4.5" lift with 33" swampers with a warn winch bumper and winch and I just got a new motor for $600 2day and haveing it put it in monday hopfully, my motor hase 84450 miles and the one im geting is out of the same XJ with 98000 on it I dont mind puting money in it I love the fu*king thing thank for your help people:laugh3:

jimbow912 said:
well I just found out that I need a new motor I have a crack block lol shit its a 2000 XJ I put a 4.5" lift with 33" swampers with a warn winch bumper and winch and I just got a new motor for $600 2day and haveing it put it in monday hopfully, my motor hase 84450 miles and the one im geting is out of the same XJ with 98000 on it I dont mind puting money in it I love the fu*king thing thank for your help people:laugh3:

A cracked block? How did you manage to pull that off?

well im haveing 2 problems 1 oil presser droping and 2 im losing antifreze, the antifreze is not going in the oil and what color will the plugs be if I pull them white right if I hade a blown out gasket of crack head?? and can the oil guage go bad?? I was thinking of going to get a oil pressure pressure test 2morrow and see if there is a leak some where

Yes, the gauge CAN go bad. I was getting extremely high readings when high, and the needle would jump around. I cleaned the connection between the plug and the sender and from then on it showed consistent and accurate readings. Apparently a water tight connection is not oil tight.

I'm having the exact same problems, and I can't offer any solutions. I have a 2001 4.0 with 80K miles. The oil press. gauge drops to zero when I come to a stop, then goes back up when I drive off. Tried a new oil pressure sensor with no change. Using heavier weight oil did prevent it from dropping to zero, but it was just above zero. As far as coolant, I fill the reservoir from nearly empty to the "full" line every 3-400 miles. Changed the water pump and some fittings and hoses to no avail. I'll let you know if I find anything that will help.

Back