• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interest in having half doors made for the XJ?

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
I spoke to one of the higher ups at Crown Automotive and mentioned my interest in half doors, and how I wish some were made. I then told him if they were made, they'd sell like hotcakes, but he wasn't so sure. He said if there was enough interest shown, he'll discuss it with the big boss and others and see if maybe they can have some made.

I've searched for many threads and different setups people have done on their own and created a compilation just to show some ideas to them; however, I need other people to speak up and to voice opinions if there is great enough interest for something like this.

Wrangler owner's have them, and the doors look great in my opinion. I would love to be able to have half doors on my Cherokee since the top doesn't come off. It would also save people the trouble of making their own, although I do know many people on here pride themselves for their fabrication skills and enjoy building their own stuff. But, there are those like me who would love to do that, but don't have the ability, whether that be time, skills, or space involved for projects like that.

Who would be interested in having some half doors made up? Any opinions or suggestions, whether you'd want just front, or front and back, soft tops, or what? Is this a lost cause, or something with some real backing? You tell me...

Please speak up if you want these made and would consider buying a set. As you know, Crown makes very high quality replacement parts for our Jeeps and I'm sure if they came through, the doors would look and fit great if they ever get made.

91 Jeep Project said:
I agree with the guy. I don't see there being enough of a market for it to be worth it to them. Don't expect this to go anywhere.

x2

this is more of a "make a website and sell em on the internet" type of thing. i think you would do well with that approach.

-mike

If they made a set for the 2-door guys, and made it function like a TJ half door ( half metal on the bottom, with a frame and zip out window to still seal) I would be interested. If they are just going to be cut up xj doors or something similar with no detachable window...Ill just get my angle grinder and welder out and do that...

Justin

I would buy them suckers like, RIGHT NOW!

I did the door removal mod on my 91' and it's great, but I can't really leave the doors off all the time in town... Half doors would rock so hard. Tell your friend at crown that seriously, I am positive that even a fair number of people who don't wheel their XJ's would buy them. I mean think about it, I see so many unwheeled XJ's with lot's of stuff done to them, but none of it for wheeling. There is a market for these things. Yes, it's a niche market (Owners of XJ's) but the market on half doors i don't think would be a specialized niche. (Owner's of XJ's who wheel.)

Thank you. My fingers are crossed.

the jeepforum thread had a very large response and has been forwarded to them for review. they were suprised and i hope it gets seriously looked into and then they'll go from there...and i'll update accordingly.

well ask him how many he would have to sell in order to profit. Something like this may be good for the crown name to get people familiar with them even if they are not super sellers, but more of a break even promotional loss leader thing.

I would like to see drawings. I know what i want in my mind.

An other idea is a door insert fort guys that take the doors off, like on early broncos and 68-72 blazers. You remove the door and there is a rounded edged lke this:

3277bdua_300.jpg

3284_one_piece_insert.jpg

I dont like seeing the hinges, door gaps, the hasp the threashold etc. My XJ isnt the most beautyfull thing, but the no door look on an XJ just looks soooo hill billy. I would pay $150-$200 for fiberglass door inserts in a heart beat.

Tell them to make that ! That would be cheaper could make it out of fiberglass.

For the half doors with the position of the stock door handles how have people made the door easy enough to get in, yet "still half a door" and retained the hardware to make it lock against the hasp?

I am intrigued by the idea

Last edited:
Dude, I made mine, and had the same thought you did. I could buy the doors outta the yard and build them to sell. I made one set and had a hard time unloading them at all. For the amount of tiem and effort it took, and an awful lot of people interested and talking about buying- they sure didnt fly out of my garage. I worked really hard to make them nice too. For the amount of work it would take to make them quickly and easily, you will never have a big enough market.
Just my .02- as a guy with experience with exactly what you are thinking...
j

Incredible Hulk said:
Dude, I made mine, and had the same thought you did. I could buy the doors outta the yard and build them to sell. I made one set and had a hard time unloading them at all. For the amount of tiem and effort it took, and an awful lot of people interested and talking about buying- they sure didnt fly out of my garage. I worked really hard to make them nice too. For the amount of work it would take to make them quickly and easily, you will never have a big enough market.
Just my .02- as a guy with experience with exactly what you are thinking...
j

I'd buy a set. Are you going to make anymore hulk?

89XJ 4 door

I'd pay up front for some sweet sweet doors like that.

Last edited:
BOX said:
I'd buy a set. Are you going to make anymore hulk?

89XJ 4 door

I'd pay up front for some sweet sweet doors like that.

#1 They're gonna cost more than you think unless you're local. If I was local I'd of bought his set. AThats the biggest issue, they will cost $250+++ then add shipping to these and it gets expensive.

#2 They were for 97+ XJs.

Just get a set of tube doors.

Exactly, everyone wanted them for around $200. Problem was that I spent $220 just for a set of 97+ doors, then about $50 in steel, add in 15+ hours of labor, and another $230 to add the rag cover, and I had a very hard time letting them go for $200 or so.
They are going to cost you more than you think, and noone is going to want to pay you what they are really worth.

xalexjx said:
any safari doors out of a late cj or yj will fit right in

Are you serious? I hope you are. But my sarcasm detector is on the fritz at the moment. I think i would have heard of that by now... But seriously, will that really work?

I have a feeling I'm gonna feel really dumb in a short while...

Back