• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

random stalling (electrical?)

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
just this sunday when i was driving home, the jeep just randomly stalled, no stuttering, just randomly shut off. i pulled to the side of the road and managed to get it started by simply waiting.. we have determined it is an electical problem, we have replaced the plugs, distributor coil, and i believe most of the wires, we can not seem to figure this out. it starts up fine, but about 30 secs- 1min later it just shuts off. it runs great now (just got a full tune up to see if it would help) and its still doing it. any ideas? its a 91 XJ with the 4.0L HO. any help would be greatly appreciated. edit: we have already replaced the CPS and it still semms to be doing it, i cant exactly get too far with it stalling after a minute.

Last edited:
What is your fuel pump doing while running? I would keep a multimeter on it while it is running and see if voltage is going to the fuel pump when it stalls...and maybe check the spark with an inline tester from the coil to the distributor. Keep giving updates with what you've tried so the reccomendations can help a little more

I had this exact same problem on my 91' Six cylinder 5-speed. The problem was the big honkin' power plug on the Driver's Side, just behind the door. It's underneath the kick panel and is usually held in place by the same kick panel that covers it, however my panel was loose and that let the plug come loose. It drove me and my mechanic crazy. Really annoying to find out it was a minor electrical gremlin. Of course, this may not be the case for you, but just a heads up to everyone experiencing the same problem, check this out.

The worst part was, it LOOKED like it was plugged in.

jesterbomb said:
I had this exact same problem on my 91' Six cylinder 5-speed. The problem was the big honkin' power plug on the Driver's Side, just behind the door. It's underneath the kick panel and is usually held in place by the same kick panel that covers it, however my panel was loose and that let the plug come loose. It drove me and my mechanic crazy. Really annoying to find out it was a minor electrical gremlin. Of course, this may not be the case for you, but just a heads up to everyone experiencing the same problem, check this out.

The worst part was, it LOOKED like it was plugged in.

was it the same problem that i am having? the xj runs for about a minute then just cuts out, but sometimes it will run for a while (managed to get 4 miles before it died out the first time) but now it has trouble just idling. could this be affected by a loose power cord?

well, i just droped it off at my freinds (mechanic) and after 2 days they can not figure out what the problem is, they have checked vitrually every wire pertaining to the issue and they have no idea, it will run fine if sitting still, but the second you hit a bump down the road it cuts out. any other idea's?

Sorry man, that exhausted my meager supply of gremlin killing knowledge. The problem seems to be the same as the one i had, but as you and your mechanic are no doubt experiencing, electrickery is (sometimes) 3 parts magic and 2 parts dumb luck when it comes to tracing the stupid gremlins down :-( I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

P.S. A little chicken's blood sprinkled on the battery during a full mooon might help. As a last resort of course...

try a crank sensor its on the bell housing of the tranny on the drivers side on top this is what supplies spark and injector pulse and with out those it would act like someone turned off the key

sorry for the double post but, we STILL cannot figure this one out, we have brought it out to our mechanic and he is frustrated as anything to what this is, he has tested virtually everything from the computer to the distributor to the fuses.. any idea's?

can you check it is spark going off or fuel pump going off when it dies? There is a safety feature for when oil pressure dies or something alike (no RPM readout?) to shut the fuel pump off in case of an accident (IIRC), but more info would be necessary to pinpoint.

Sounds like an electrical connection is shorting out to ground, or overheating and opening like contacts in an ignition switch switch burning out, or relay. Have you checked the battery posts and ground connections. I have seen a loose battery cable do that.

Or even a loose battery post. Not the cables, the actual post on the battery being connected to the internals only loosely. We never did figure out how or why it happened, but it did. Thankfully, I had a warranty, and my mechanic loves me for driving such a beater.

Back