• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easiest way to get crankshaft positioning sensoer off?

I went at it from below using multiple extensions and a u-joint. Remove the top bolt first and install it last to limit the chances of dropping it in the hole.

An extra person helps to keep the socket on the bolt, while working at it from below with about 2 feet of extensions and a swivel. Good lighting and patience. Getting it back on is just as frustrating.

30" extension, and a 7/16" or 11m/m shallow "flex socket" (the one with the inbuilt U-joint.) Stuff the socket with grease before you pull the screw, and it will help hold onto the thing. Go at it from underneath - there just isn't room up top to get it done.

'88 cherokee 242 auto 4wd.
The red wire on mine finally let the last few strands go today, while working under the hood. I have another issue and was poking around the rear of the intake near the firewall. It simply stalled out. Fortunatly I had noticed a couple days ago, that the tubing over the wire was cut about three inches from the sensor, far too deep to repair mounted, and the red wire insulation as well as most of the copper strands. I was digging around in another discussion here about the removal issue, and was inspired (never expecting to achieve anything) to take a 11mm, some extensions, and crawl under to check it out.
With my son at the top and holding the flashlight, it turned out to be a cakewalk without even jacking up the vehicle. One thing I did notice re-installing it was that if you crawl under from behind the LF tire,you can reach up from around the top front edge of the bell with your right arm, and really guide things in/out very well. I do have small hands, so no Lou Ferrigno job here. The slot in the bell for the sensor did appear questionable for dropping things into so we were very careful about that. IT had an odd sort off hourglass shape. Mine had no cover as I have read about.
I stripped, tinned, soldered and heat shrinked both wires, notched the upper hole on the sensor for ease over that pre-installed bolt, and we put it back togther and loosely zip-tied the outside to the one wire bundle on the firewall. (it wasn't held down under by the clip i've seen on some posts)

I was so bummed that tomorrow would be wasted on this problem, and was gonna just but a new one. My problems seem so few right now. But wait, there IS tomorrow, and I do own a Jeep.

Last edited:
I went to change mine on Friday, was going to drop front drive shaft. I first traced the wire, and sure enough it was burnt and ground against motor. I just repaired the wire and now back to driving again. I also have an 88, and now I have a spare cps for when...

Back