• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Protection first

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I got a little money for my college graduation and am planning to purchase some skids. I have a 5.5 RE lift and was wondering what skid i should purchase... tank, diffs, etc.?

It depends what you do offroad, wether it be rock crawling or mudding etc. I would go with either rock rails or a gas tank skid. You can make one out of a ZJ tank skid. Just search around for these kinds of things. I would also think of a better crossmember for the transfer case because that'll protect the tranny if you get the right one.

No matter what type of wheeling you do, a TC skid is a good investment. You smack it and fubar it, you are walking out.

I would go with the engine / trany skid like the one from Skidrow.com. first. Then as others have mentioned. 2nd TC skid. 3rd Gas tank Skid. 4th rock rails. Don't forget roll cage if you do extream off roading.

Personally I would go:

Rock Rails > T-Case > Gas Tank > Diff

I've rarely hit my gas tank on anything, and nothing my stock skid couldn't handle, though I whaled on my rocker rails on every run I have ever been on, and managed to bend a TnT Custom belly/T-Case skid. I also bent both my stock Diff covers so replaced them with cranes.

Basically put some rock rails on it, wheel it, and replace what ever stock stuff you mess up with beefy aftermarket stuff. Rinse and repeat until you chop it all up and re-build it out of tub (see my advance fab thread)

KarlVP said:
Do you have rocker guards?

Buy a winch if you don't already have one.

Im sorry I forgot to mention that I do have rocker guards... But what I'm hearing is the t-case is probably the first priority.

carlton989 said:
DPG Offroad T Case skid. Best skid for the money

The only problem i have with this type is that I have detours rocker/stiffners that cover up where this T-Case skid mounts.

Fuel tank skid then transfercase skid. Rock rails then diffs. Safety first and expensive part protection next.

TNT said:
Fuel tank skid then transfercase skid. Rock rails then diffs. Safety first and expensive part protection next.
Nice! And another vote for DPG.

mavrick said:
But what I'm hearing is the t-case is probably the first priority.

Right'O.. Tcase first. Lots of folks will talk about hitting the gas tank and lowering it's capacity, but everyone that has hit the tcase will talk about having to Replace the T-case.

DaffyXJ said:
Right'O.. Tcase first. Lots of folks will talk about hitting the gas tank and lowering it's capacity, but everyone that has hit the tcase will talk about having to Replace the T-case.

I've seen 2 split wide open, not to good for the enviroment. My vote is stay off the trails until you have a fuel tank skid and t-case skid...

TNT said:
My vote is stay off the trails until you have a fuel tank skid and t-case skid...

X2, you can take a stock XJ a long ways with good protection, and you can get screwed real fast with a lifted XJ and no protection.

Spend the money on protection first.

mavrick said:
The only problem i have with this type is that I have detours rocker/stiffners that cover up where this T-Case skid mounts.

Get in touch with Mark @ Detours. Tell him you are thinking of getting the DPG bellyskid. I think I remember him having an idea for making it work.

Also, look at the DPG gas tank skid. Give Dirk a call (DPG owner) and ask him for pricing on both (set) and tell him you are a NAXJA member. He has some great products and awesome service!!!!!

Protect your gas tank and t-case at the same time, if at all possible!

id say rock sliders first because once you dent your rocker panels(or whatever you wanna call them) youll be lookin at some weird fab work to mount up some rock sliders once you get them.
this is what i did...
Got AJ's 3/16" super square sliders
Made my own gas tank skid out of 2 stock skids
Made my own tcase skid
Made my own front diff skid

in my opinon the sliders are key to wheeling. if they stick out a little bit like mine do it is very easy to pivot around trees, rocks, etc... without pinning your doors shut or doing any other kind of damage.
-Shomsky

Back