• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery disconnect

Cesar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys/gals if I am to install a battery disconect on my jeep for storage, does it matter if its on the positive or negative side of the battery? The reason I ask is because in my setup it is much easier on the negative side.

Thanks

Cesar

Cesar said:
Hey guys/gals if I am to install a battery disconect on my jeep for storage, does it matter if its on the positive or negative side of the battery? The reason I ask is because in my setup it is much easier on the negative side.

Thanks

Cesar

For long term storeage ? Take the battery out, put a couple of 2x6 pieces of pine on the garage floor and put the battery on top of them. Don't put batteries on steel shelves or concrete floors..

No not long term, it just not my main car anymore and it has a small drain (i know i need to fix it) but i use it every 2 weeks and i dont want the battery to discharge.

RichP said:
For long term storeage ? Take the battery out, put a couple of 2x6 pieces of pine on the garage floor and put the battery on top of them. Don't put batteries on steel shelves or concrete floors..

Urban Legend. There's nothing wrong with storing a battery on a concrete floor.

Myth 14.1. Storing a battery on a concrete floor will discharge them.

All lead-acid batteries will naturally self-discharge which can result in loss of capacity from sulfation. The rate of self-discharge is most influenced by the temperature of the battery's electrolyte and the chemistry of the plates. This self-discharge is often mistaken for concrete floor causing the battery to drain. Some experts believe that storing car or deep cycle batteries on a colder concrete floor might actually slow down the self-discharge (leakage) rate because the floor acts as a heat sink and cools the battery.

In the early 1900s, when battery cases were made of porous materials such as tar-lined wood boxes, storing batteries on concrete floor would accelerate their natural self-discharge due to external leakage. Modern battery cases are made of polypropylene or hard rubber. These cases are sealed better, so external leakage-causing discharge is no longer a problem, provided the top of the battery is clean and free from wet or dried electrolyte and the same temperature as the floor.

For what you wan't it don't matter. Guess though I should ask what year because your computer will also lose all its presets and the memorey will clear causing a code.

Last edited:
Back