• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise stopping?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
This started after wheeling it on Sunday. When I stop in the 5mph-0mph range I'm getting a popping noise out of the front end. I checked the steering everything is tight and the brakes seem to be working fine. Any Ideas? I did a quick look at everything after going to the car wash earlier and nothing looked off to me.

Rig specs
92 4.0HO AX15
~4" lift in front spring and spacer
~2.5" in back (waiting on shackles in mail)
32" BFG ATs
Non stock LCAs (not sure what brand)
Rustys tie rod

track bar mount??? When mine makes weird noises I check that and its usually a little loose.

AZRockRunner said:
track bar mount??? When mine makes weird noises I check that and its usually a little loose.

I'll go check that now thanks

that actually helped a little I had checked the unibody mount but not the axle mount and that was a little loose i'm still getting a little bit of the noise but it is greatly reduced I'll play with it more @ lunch that was just my 15 so not much time to mess with stuff

Well I just went through the same thing with my 89 XJ. I recently installed a 4.5 inch Rubicon Express kit so I knew the track bar was new and the mount was fine. The steering box was fine as well. I finally got sick of hearing the noise and spent a few minutes under the front end with my buddy turning the wheel back and fourth. One thing I did notice was a LOT of slop in the tie rod ends. I figured they were original and since the Jeep is getting close to 350,000, they needed to go. I was going to just replace the rod ends but since I plan on upgrading from 31” to 33” tires, I replaced everything with a kit from Currie. Since the worn rod ends have been replaced, I have no more popping noise. Replacing the rod ends is pretty cheap and easy. I only replaced the whole assembly because I plan on running bigger tires and some times I have an over reactive right foot when I see a mud hole.

Back