• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4500 RPM idle

Kyle Petterson

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says, my Jeep now idles at 4500 RPM. I rebuilt the engine (not my first) and now it idle's crazy high. I'll be digging into it tomorrow but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Check to make sure your butterfly valve in your throttle body is completley closed. Secondly, check your main vacuum lines like your brake booster. Then tighten your valve cover & manifold bolts. Sounds like you're getting a LOT of air.

Same thing happened to me.. the intake manifold ended up not being on 100% flush to the head. It seems I had pressed the new guide dowels a little bit too far in the head and it made it much more difficult to line up and bolt up 100% correctly.

George T.

You guys are right. Sure enough, I got underneath there and the manifold bolts were a bit loose. Thing runs like a dream. I'll post some pics in a week or 2.

Back