• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cj shock mounts(Above the leaf)?

jpbxj79

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I just picked up a 44 rear out of a Rodeo, fabed up my spring mounts, and I got to thinking.... What would happen if I used Cj shock mounts under the factory u-bolt plate ? I would have to figure out what length shock to use, but it would place the shock above the axle tubes, and I wouldnt have to expose the tubes to as much heat. Just looking for a little feedback, Thanks Jim.

The biggest downfall will be the fact that it limits the size shock and therefore limiting travel. You may however be able to get a shock with enough travel... but you will have to figure that out...

just set it all up and the plates do not fit sideways(to allow shoch to pivot) so it will be a no go. Any how, where are you guys getting weld on shock mounts? I could fab some up, but I am lazy and would just as soon buy them. thanks

Last edited:
If you go with Cj mounts, don't use the stock plates. They have a habit of cracking at the weld on the shock stud.

You could also try a custom plate along the same lines as the CJ plates, but sandwiched between the spring pack and axle pad. This would make the shock mount even with the top of the axle tube instead of the top of the spring pack. 'Give you a couple more inches of shock length.

I thought about moving my shock mounts up on the axle more in the rear to clear rocks and junk but if you look at the front LCA mounts they are as low as the rear shock mounts. I don't think it would be that much of a value.

Back