• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke the trac bar bolt

XJMK

aka boredchimp
Today I broke the trac bar bolt, sheared the head off. What sould I do to get the bolt out so I can drive it? I'm thinking drill it out, but me not so good at making straight holes. I am considering replacing the trac bar, so that might not matter. Another route I thought of was to hack saw it off between the trac bar and the mounting bracket. I tried that and it didn't seem to work too well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I don't think you'll have much like trying to drill it out.
I would try and use a punch and a large hammer to hammer it out the backside or I would try and cut it off between the trackbar bushing and the bracket on the axle. You'll probably destroy the bushing, but those aren't to expensive to replace.
Embrace the sawzall. That's how I had to get both my LCA's off.

There is an axle behind it so I can't punch it out. I was going to try the sawzall, but its such a confined place. I guess all I can do is try and if I bend a few blades, try slower. I kinda planned on something getting wrecked in the process. Thanks for helping out again.

You might have better luck with a torch, burning off the end, punching it through, burning again, etc.

Thanks for the replys.

I started with the sawzall and its going well, except that it started to rain. Guess I'll wait til later.

Do you have a welder? If so, you just need to "stick" a smaller bolt to the broken one and take it out!!

Other than that...the sawsall is your only option I can think of.....

Good luck,
CW

Back