• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild or cut losses and scrap?

rockclimber24315

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a xj for about $1000 a month ago and it was running great despite the 130,000 miles, my chemestry teacher has one that has 230,000 and is still running great. Well of all the ones I pick the one that only has 1000 miles left to live. It developed an oil drip about a week after I got it. I threw some more oil in there and went on my way and kept checking it, usually it would drip about 3 drops when ever i parked it and then would quit as it cooled off. I proceeded to fiber glass and bondo some rought body spots and put a new rocker panel on. I rerouted the PCV valve line because it was sucking oil into my air filter, then about a week after that (a few days before I ordered my lift) the rear main seal starts pouring out oil, 2 quarts every 4 miles... According to tha mechanic, it's getting blowby and a rear main replacement would do nothing because of the blowby, it need new rings + gaskets.:hang: So should I just cut my losses and scrap it before I sink more money into it? Get new rings and gaskets and go on my merry way, hoping something else doesn't go wrong? Completely overhaul the engine and possibly stroke it? I don't know what to do and I'm looking for input. I NEED to decide quikly as this is/was my DD. Thanks.

Pickup a motor from someone or a junkyard for $400-600.
Build a stroker for about 1500-2000

Rebuilding it stock is an option but for pennys more, you can build a stroker.

For less than $100 and few hours you can replace the rear main and be back on the road. Then buy a junkyard motor and stroke it while your DD is still driving and you have the time to do it the way you want.

Just a thought...

What year and where in VA?

the RMS is one day job for an inexperienced mechanic, likely only a few hours for someone who has turned alot of wrenches in the past. The bad blowby might be caused by a plugged PCV system, search for blowby..it's a pretty common problem on older engines and definately doesn't mean the end of your engine is near. Slap a new RMS in yourself, fix the blowby and keep driving it.

I have never heard of anything having a sudden 2 qt per 4 miles leak. Any update on problem or solution?
My money is on a loose valve cover or leaking oil pressure sending unit.

lowrange2 said:
Zac, 100 bucks says he lives near Bland Virgina!

?? haha... Here's one commin from a big city man.

AND THE WINNER IS... Lowrange, Yeah I'm from Bland, you know a zip code when you see one!! LMAO

I've slowed the oil leak, and fixed an overheating problem which has also helped alot with the oil leak. Lucas Oil Stabalizer turned my stream into a drip, Also I bought a wrecked XJ with lift and 4.6L for $500. The lift was almost 4, 3.75? Anyway it's on and runn'n 31's with a rear bumper I fabbed. and a orange paintjob with duplicolor bedliner up to the first set of body lines. The stroker is going in this spring once it warms back up, but the current engine is holding on pretty well for now.

Back