• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM "Style" OIL PAN REPLACEMENTS

F9K9

Semper Fi
This may be a fluke that I purchased from Rock Auto because I have always had good service from them. I have not tried to contact them because I have had the pan several months. I purchased an OEM "style" pan because I knew I had a RMS install coming up and my pan had a hole in it when I purchased it. The seller had tried using waterweld to stop it but, we know what happened with that effort:sure:

The pan I bought from Rock Auto was ATP Part # 103072, {OE# 53020207}. The pan is a PITA to work with. There is not enough room to use the OEM 13 and 14MM bolts with with their washers to start theading them on, maybe, 8 combination bolt/washers failed to seat due to the OEM washers and there is not enough room for a socket to seat them w/o using a BFH. I have trimmed a lot of the washers with a die grinder and I may be able to get it bolted up.

Just a heads up and I hope that it has not been covered before.

Stay Safe,

Reed

That's got to be annoying, especially considering what a joy that job is on a good day. What are the washers hitting on, the side of the pan body or the outer lip? I had a problem getting just one bolt out of my pan last year, and it was because the outer lip somehow had been dented slightly over the bolt head. Good luck with that, hope it seals up for you.

It was on the outer lip of the pan that was preventing the washers from seating. I'm waiting on new upper control arms so if, it doesn't seal properly I'll yank it back off and get a better one.

Well, it leaks like a SIEVE :banghead: I combined the oil pan replacement with a new rear main seal, oil filter adapter O-rings and OEM UCAs (to hold me over until new adjustable ones are made by a club member). I felt pretty good about the RMS replacement but, I may as well do it again, just in case. Anyone have a recommendation for the oil pan replacement?

Get one from Crown. My OP bolts are all standard not metric. I have a 93 what year has metric??

Well, I was wrong on the metric sizes. I think it was 11 and 12 or 13mm instead of the what I first posted. They could be SAE sizes but, my sockets fit them. Mine's a '92. I'll check out CROWN. Thanks!

Rocketman said:
Get one from Crown. My OP bolts are all standard not metric. I have a 93 what year has metric??
A confession from A JA (Jeep [SIZE=-1]Anonymous) MEMBER

Hello, my name is Reed and I am a 56 yr old dumb a_s Jeep newbie and am addicted. I stupidly assumed that most fasteners on XJs were METRIC! This thinking is a direct result of wrenching on GM S/T series trucks. ROCKETMAN made me rethink a bunch of stuff by his comment. I went ahead and tightened up (snugged) my oil pan (OP) bolts with SAE sockets this morning and the leaks appear to have stopped.

I hope someone can learn from my mistake. I was pretty depressed to see all that oil follow the law of gravity, until I did what I should have done in the first place!
[/SIZE]

Back