• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinges

4wheeler4LIFE

NAXJA Forum User
if this idea is just crazy dont flame me but, has any put or tried to put wrangle style hinges on thier cherokee doors? is it possible? i imagine since the doors aren't designed to have to hinge on the outside you might need/want to brace the door(from the inside) if you did it.

just one of my many random toughts...

:compwork:

why would you want to put wrangler hinges on it? You can very easily make the doors removable (if you have pre-97 hinges). there was a write-up around here somewhere for it

i followed the write up on here and it is so easy to remove the door it wouldent be worth the time to fab it all up to me. but its your jeep do what you want always neat to see something different. post pics if you do. the thing to do would be to make the doors lighter, thats the only draw back ive found.

well, i dont have a jeep yet because i wont turn 15 for a couple of months. I'm just doing my research a head of time. i've been reading on here for over a year. HOWEVER when i do get a jeep it will be an 97 or> because my parents dont want to buy an old car.

4wheeler4LIFE said:
well, i dont have a jeep yet because i wont turn 15 for a couple of months. I'm just doing my research a head of time. i've been reading on here for over a year. HOWEVER when i do get a jeep it will be an 97 or> because my parents dont want to buy an old car.

I wish my parents wanted to buy me a newer car. I feel so unloved. :(

well it wont be new, it will probly be 98 or 99 and i have to help pay for plus i have to pay for all the mods.

how hard would it be to put pre '97 model hinges on a 97 or newer?

i thought the same thing on the wrangler hinges too. just a more .....hmm...rugged look?! i am going to do some wrangler body mods as well. at this point its just a great idea in my head. wheather it will pan out i dont know

Might just be better to get a TJ then. While it may be true that the ladies find TJ's more appealling initially, the fold down seat in the XJ more than makes up for it down the road. In terms of hauling stuff home I mean.

Dont the Wrangler hinges mount on the outside of the door? Considering that that area is sheet metel, and Im sure XJ doors are a lot heavier then TJ doors, I wouldnt do it.

4wheeler4LIFE said:

Must be nice - I had to buy my own first car... A 1966 Folskvagen Beetle, circa 1985... Took me all summer to make the $200 for it - but having wheels allowed me expand service, and I made the $1400 to restore it over the winter...

it doesnt matter even if the doors were heavier or not... ours would have to mount to fender [unless you did some bracing and had it go from the door jam area out] and the fender would NEVER hold that door up, no matter what it was. nor would the lip of sheet metal youd have to use to make it look flush.

youd have to cut a bunch of stuff to make it work, and it wouldnt really look good...

if you are going to do that much welding why not just use the 97+ hinges and weld a small bit of tubing through the body-side hinge, and put a pin on the door side, and perhaps brace it. i think that would be much easier.

my father was the origional owner of my 94. but ive had to pay everything else for it.. and my other one*

*the odd parts jeeps and such

Back