• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans. trouble

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I broke down & took rig to local Jeep dealer-- mystery sound was diagnosed as "Faulty torque converter & front pump for Transmission". Here I thought the AW-4 was indestructible! I even paid for a pricey BG trans. flush a few years back...

I knew I was in trouble when tech quoted a $1000 for the TC alone-- wouldn't even give me a estimate for job-- "All day" repair I was told...

My main mechanic won't tackle it either-- should I try the local chain transmission shop for repair? I'm at a loss.

TIA for any suggestions

Find a good trans shop. Ask around, they're out there. Those japaneese
converters are always over $900. at the dealer. Your looking at more
than just a pump and converter if in fact the pump AND converter are
faulty.

What's the mystery sound? The Jeep dealer may be taking you for a ride and it could be as simple as a cracked flex plate (pretty common). You can pickup a used tranny with t/c pretty cheap at a local salvage yard. I got a 99 AW with 95k miles for $50.

lawsoncl said:
What's the mystery sound?

A rythmic d-d-d-d-d-d-d from bellhousing when in gear; shifts fine & plenty of power. Noise stops in Park.

Does it do it sometimes when y ou first accelerate? If so, mines been doing the same thing ever since I bought it over two years ago.....damn thing is driving me crazy!

I'm thinking you should pull the inspection cover off the front of the bellhousing and check the torque converter bolts. Use a screwdriver to gently pry on the flexplate while looking up near the center for cracks.

As stated, DC mechanic wanted to replace TC & front pump--what would be a reasonable estimate for TC bolt tighten?

First, find out if that's the problem. It's pretty easy to diagnose yourself with a few hand tools and crawling under there in the driveway. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how mechanicly inclined are you? Perhaps a smaller, independent shop that's familiar with Jeeps would be more inclined to actually look at it instead if giving a wild diagnosis based on the sound.

Look in the Classifieds on this and other Jeep forums for a good used AW4 usually around $200 for trans and converter. Even with the shipping you will come out ahead over the DC $1000 price. Any good mechanics shop will exchange it with your current trans for around $200 to 300. Half day job.
A phone call to my local AAMCO says $250 if I provide the trans, converter and fluid. See what kind of quotes you get, they may varie by geographic location and mechanics prices.

Back