• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VERY odd Idle Air Sensor issue

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first off YES and YES i have thoroughly searched the IAS issues here on the threads (actually just spent a good 3 hours reading everything i could find on it), and it seems to fit my bill directly. I decided to do a quick field test to see what happened. While the Jeep was idling, i completely disconnected the wires to the IAS and the Jeep experienced ZERO change, no idle up or down whatsoever, and it didn't die (as i sort of expected it should?). Also, throttle response didn't change. As a side note, when i disconnect the vacuum tube going from the back of the valve cover to the fitting on the intake, the idle actually goes UP, which i also find strange. SO, what i've theorized is that the IAS is starving the engine for air, so therefore a nice sized vacuum leak might actually raise the idle? Tell me if my thinking is flawed, which it always is :doh:. Also, as another side note, i recently replaced my TPS which did fix a ton of my idle issues, no more starting and having it rev immediately to 2500, and thanks guys for your help on that!

Generally speaking the more air into the intake, the O2 sensor senses this and adds fuel. Same thing happens when the throttle plate is opened. A vacuum leak will make the idle go up, though the ECU may adjust the IAC and try to bring it back down some. Depends on the size of the leak.
When you unplugged the IAC, it just stayed right where it was at. Basically the IAC is a motor, a gear, with a threaded rod connected to a stopper. It constantly adjust the air supply at idle (rather poorly most times). Disconnect the wire and it stays where it's at. I don't think the plunger spring is enough to move the plunger without some help from the motor, or every time a person removed the IAC, the plunger would launch itself, which doesn't happen (with the power removed).
The Renix has a tendency to idle low anyway. Unless it is really a low lope, I wouldn't sweat it much. TPS adjustment can affect it some, as can grounds and connectors.
There are other possibilities. If it stalls at idle it can be a bad EGR solenoid (no power) a faulty or stuck open EGR.
If it idles low, but well, I wouldn't sweat it too much, it's a Renix thing.

Yes, low and steady, thanks a bunch for your input, i have a lot to learn about these things :). At full throttle on the highway or pulling any type of hill at all it is absolutely a DOG. Considering EGR change, along with the O2 sensor and checking out the CAT. Pretty much just attack all the things i think it could be haha.

Last edited:
Back