• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft Thrust Pin & Spring

scca28

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a spec for the thrust pin in the cam sprocket bolt? Cleaned up what I have, and the spring feels healthy, pin shows just a little wear on the tip. The pin extends about 1/8 inch from the top of the bolt head.
Thanks!

If there is, I certanly haven't found it yet - and that's going through a shelf full of FSMs

I'm trying to open lines of communication with various manufacturers for book research, so I'll put that on my list of things to ask.

However, I've not had any trouble re-using the OEM spring and pin, so you might as well go with that - unless you're a real stickler, and decide to get a new OEM spring...

5-90 said:
However, I've not had any trouble re-using the OEM spring and pin, so you might as well go with that - unless you're a real stickler, and decide to get a new OEM spring...

Okay,thanks! I feel confident in reusing what I have here. Just wanted to see if it was one of those "shoulda' replaced it when you were there" items. I've been doing some online searching, and haven't found a listing for the pin or spring, so I guess it would be a dealer only part?

5-90 said:
Yeah, pretty much. Probably why I've not bothered replacing the thing...

Hey, I just found this and posted it earlier today on another topic I am working on. But I figured I would also add it to this orignal post in case someone is looking for it. I just ordered one today for $7.00 at our local Dodge dealer. When it comes in next week I will post any differences I see between the old and new parts, as far as wear, etc.

http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/425

Camshaft thrust pin package includes cam bolt, spring and pin (no
washer): Chrysler "PIN PKG C", part number 83502890, special order
part, cost was $5.28 on 4-10-2007 from Brennan Dodge, 318-251-9874, in
Ruston, LA.

Well, just picked up a new thrust-pin/spring/cam bolt kit for a whopping $7.00. After extensive research in my laaaa-borah-tory....it seems the pin and spring from the rebuild motor, after 165k miles of abuse by the PO, is identical in every measurment to the new kit out of the package. I don't have any way to test the spring's tension, but they both mic out at around .705 in length. The pins are .834 in length and .248 in diameter. So, if you haven't replaced it in your rebuild, it probably is nothing to worry about. However, if you forgot to re-install it......
Maybe someone doing a rebuild on a much higher milage engine will update this one day???

Back