• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mickey Thompson, BFG, Dick Cepek

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is the final frontier of my build. I want 33's no more than 12.5, prefer maybe an 11.5, on 16 x 8 AEV Bridger (Argent) Wheels:smootch: . On the plate now is 4.5 RE with plenty of bumpstop.

I have Goodyear MT/R's now, too much noise, wears too fast (15,000miles = new tires every year) no good in the rain.

What I'm looking at:

Mickey Thompson ATZ
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Dick Cepek FC II
or a BFG Alternative

I do beach driving (sand), snow, mud, no rocks, and lots of highway. So far as Quadratec rates them I think the DC FC II is on the top of my list right now, I also enjoy the beefier tread over the more "street" tires, I mean whats the point if you can't look good right?
Thanks to All!
-Alex

get some bfg all terrains, just went wheeling the other day, I was seriously in awe at how they were doing.
they suck in the mud..... but mud's dumb for wheeling anyways.
anything else they are great in and the life time on them is great too.

Rev Den said:
BFG A/Ts

Well documented results.

Rev

I've been happy with mine. My 31x10.5-15's have 65,000 miles on them and have 1/4 tread left. The key is proper alignment, tire inflation and rotation.

Jimbo_1321 said:
get some bfg all terrains, just went wheeling the other day, I was seriously in awe at how they were doing.
they suck in the mud..... but mud's dumb for wheeling anyways.
anything else they are great in and the life time on them is great too.[/quote

sounds like somebody that was never allowed out to play in the rain.:rolleyes:

Jimnc said:
sounds like somebody that was never allowed out to play in the rain.:rolleyes:

Love the avatar Jimnc. Some of the toughest terrain this vehicle will see is mud, not for fun but out of necessity. Though I also love the mud...but thats beside the point.

I am almost convinced to say the same about the BFG AT's! I have had them on my rig for a year now, although bought with them on it, they have performed amazingly. They do suck in the mud, but everywhere else including the road, they do Fantastic. I have always been a Mud Tire fan, just because of the "need them when you need them" factor.
Let me give this testimony: This last Blizzard here in south east colorado, these 33x10.50x15 At's, never got me stuck even in 3+ ft of snow. They actually never got me stuck in the same snow after I blew a bead on the pass. rear inside bead when the snow ripped the bead off, the outer bead stayed and I drove it (although not recomended) for 1 mile so I could get it to a place to repair it. I removed the tire and rim, took them inside with the outer bead still attached, let it warm up and reseated it, remounted and am still driving it today!
I became a very big fan of that tire because of that.
Good luck!

And if your a little more of an aggressive wheeler, id consider the BFG Mud terrains. A little louder, but i got about 40k outta mine and cant say enough about there trail performance. They ride good on the road to (siped radials). I also loved mt A/t's for more of a DD preference.

make that one more for the bfg's at ko's .
had my 33 x 12.50's for about a year now , and went right through the 3+feet of snow this winter with no problems .

I can't believe how many AT recomendations your getting when you said you wheel in the mud lol. I have BFG MTs and have been very happy with the tread performance, however I have cut 2 sidewalls :( thank god for road hazzard :D. I have a few friends with the MTZs and they rock, my next tire for sure. We wheel mostly rock but mud is usually involed as well.

BFG's....you're paying way too much for the other stuff. I love my BFG MT's. Great wear and pretty darned quiet if you ask me. BTW, rotate mine every oil change and I've got about 30K on them now and about half gone.

I love my BFG ATs the only time I have had issues is high cetering or mud. they are like claws in the snow. But if you are doing a lot of mud I know people who run the MTs and people who run the Trxus MTs. The trxus's seem to be pretty popular around here and I have been told they make less noise than the BFG MTs

I noticed your going to be running 16 inch rims, try either 285/75-16 or 305/75-16 for tire size. I have 285's on my Dodge pickup, they are almost 33 inches tall, and about 11 inches wide. 305's are supposed to be the 33x12.5 equivalent. If your jeep is going to see alot of street driving Bfg a/t's are hard to beat. I've never had a set that I haven't got at least 50,000 mi. out of. If it's a trail rig, I'd probably pick something more aggresive...

x10 on BFG

SO you guys like BFG's I guess...(understatement of the century). Thanks, for all the very clear reccomendations, anyone ever run any of the tires that I mentioned?

H E double hockey sticks with that I recommend Interco Trxus MT's ran 3 sets on my TJ and love em. plenty of grip none that you suggest compare ran em all.

crawlin slow in CO:scottm:

Ok so tires are going to be ordered Monday, hopefully for a Tuesday/Wednesday delivery. I really like the idea of the BFG AT's but I saw about the size I want on an H2 today and I wasn't impressed with the look, and I cannot imagine that those treads would do well in mud. I am really considering the BFG MTs for both the terrain and the asthetics but I really cannot deal with more or the same road noise as my MT/R's. Anyone who runs the MTs have some feedback on noise. Also I am also very concerned with the sidewalls, the MT/Rs are second to none as far as sidewall strength, I beat them up pretty well and they have done well, some wear but nothing close to a puncture.
Also feedback about width would help, I'm thinking 33x11.5x17, really worried about rubbing and high speed water so I think the 11.5 is a good compromise, or do we see 10.5 working better?
Thanks Again.
AP

Last edited:
Thats been my only problem with the BFG MT is the butter like sidewalls they seem to have. I noticed today I have one going down a little so I am sure thats the problem again. The tire shop hates me :D but they sold me the unconditional warranty on them. Best $17 a tire I have ever spent. If this one is leaking from a sidewall cut I will only have one of my originals left from 2 years ago.

A friend of mine has the MTRs and hates them, however he hasn't had any sidewall problems. I have only seen one MTZ sidewall failure and that was an impact deal, it was a very hard hit and not a cut.

Not what I wanted to hear.....argh I have never even come close to killing an MT/R and they have taken some pretty hard hits from branches, curbs and such....if you can do it that easily I'll tear up my tires

So I'm gonna order the BFG MTs tomorrow, feel free to stop me...<gulp>:helpme:

Back