• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling problem at race

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, we start to have bad cooling problems during the races. This is probably because we use the car above 5000 rpm all the time in low range.

The car now has the newer closed system with a 3 core radiator, one original mechanical fan and one electric fan (not so fancy) how can i improve it??

ı checked flowkooler pumps but they say they double the flow below 3000 rpm which we never see. are there any upgrades for the mechanical fan?
or any stronger suggestıons for the electric fan ? like flex a lite etc?

how does adding two extra fans in front of the radiator sounds???

Thanks

5000 rpm all the time in low range

Why?

Not necessarily a good idea.

Try laying the radiator back(at the top/or out at the bottom),it forces the air to contact the fins instead of flowing thru them.

I put a high flow thermostat housing in from turbo city and a 180 stat and it dropped my temp 10 - 12 degrees. I did this for snow plowing so opposte side of rpm but for $40.00 for both parts its worth a try.

Running at that high of rpm will cause the water pump fins to draw air into the fins instead of water because of the suction created by the fins. I suggest ether replace the coolant with super coolant from valvoline, add some kinda water wetter the the coolant, or my personal choice, drop the rpm's.

Installing a 180 degree t-stat will drop your temp about 15 degrees from the 195 temp t-stat in the jeep but it will also keep you in open loop and running rich all the time.

gixxer410 said:
Installing a 180 degree t-stat will drop your temp about 15 degrees from the 195 temp t-stat in the jeep but it will also keep you in open loop and running rich all the time.

It shouldn't at the RPM's he's running at. 5K will keep the heat up there fine with a lower T-stat.....anyways, I don't think he's ever hitting closed loop racing like he is, but I agree, throw a 180* T-stat in there to help out some.

That might help, but I'd go with something that is more electrical for the entire set up. Your mechanical fan is designed to flatten out at high RPM's, (designed with the assumption that if you're running the motor at high RPM's, you're going pretty quick and therefore wouldn't need that much pull to help cool the motor, but relying on a ram air effect) so if you're not going very fast, ie below 45mph, it might be a good idea to do a complete electrical fan swap, pulling in as much CFM as possible across the radiator. Hood vents would help out a lot as well.

Not that I turn them kind of RPMs all the time but I can tell you what I have done.
The stock Aux fan was replaced with the upgraded 97+ fan. This is now on a switch in cab. The stock main fan was pulled along with the pulley. A shorter belt was installed along with a 14" Zirgo 3300 CFM in the stock scroud. This is also on a remote switch in cab for water crossings but don't think you'll need a kill switch. I do run a flowkooler pump but would not be good for your needs. I also run the Rock it thermo housing. It does provided a bit more flow. I running a CSF 3 core. This was a major help. A high flow 195* stat. Even with all this I'll heat up on trails at low RPM. Highway running it stays kewl. Quick trail running where I am hammering the throttle on and off it does heat up also.
I have run my rig without the hood to see if this was any help and it wasn't. Hood vents or spacers are not going to do any good.
I agree that in a race set up an auxilary oil cooler is a good idea. Also if your running a auto set up a tranny cooler.

5000 RPM sounds kind of high for a 4.0. Your past the effective powerband of this motor. I would think if you changed gears (or maybe compensated with a larger tire), you would probably see an increase in power and maybe even cure your overheating problem. Unless this motor has had valvetrain/ fuel system upgrades, I doubt it can run very good at that RPM for extended periods. If by chance the fuel system can't keep up it could be causing a lean condition that would make it run hot... Just a thought...

bigger pulley to slow that water pump down...

I run 2 SPAL 14" pusher fan that run 1700 cfm. Never have an issue in the race jeep 4.7l with hesco alum. head. I also run the www.genright.com louver kit & the vented PS pump pulley. The rig is way fast.

Last edited:
Back