• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep snapping front axle u-joints

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I keep breaking lf axle u-joints in half, I have been using prcision#378 super strength greasables. I have tried different front lf axle. They seem to break with little effort. Never had a rf one break just wear out. I now carry a lf axle with u joint for "when" I break it. I'd carry two if I had another. Can anyone suggest a better u joint? I'm thinking these are just crappy joints.:flamemad:

That's the one I always broke as well. Probably something to do with the long side shaft absorbing some of the shock load and acting like a torsional "spring" of sorts.

Don't use greaseable ones, and get quality Spicer joints. Are you running the larger 297x joints or the smaller 260x ones?

89 xj, 4.0 auto trans , Its the smaller of the two joints. What is a ctm?

CTM makes u-joints. You won't be able to run one if you still have the smaller joint.

What you should have asked is "How can I stop from busting u-joints and axles?"

The answer would be to buy some Alloy USA shafts with spicer 760's in them.

Hi Cal, I have already thought about that, but at 1200cnd, its out of the question for now, I was just thinking someone could recommend a swap in axle that will accept the larger joint , or stronger joint. Thanks though!

You can get stock axles from a 97+ or TJ and they will bolt right in with a bigger joint. I pay about $120 for a pair locally.

If you get them, go out and buy new u-joints before installing them... no reason to install old parts. Spicer non greasable (they are stronger) 5x760 joints.

yes an hp dana 30 has the bigger u joints and are about a dime a dozen and will bolt in - i have some buddies that would sell theirs from axle swaps for no more than 150 US ... and i wouldnt pay anymore than that!

Not all HP D30's have the big joints--depends on the year built.

xjbubba said:
Not all HP D30's have the big joints--depends on the year built.

And the option package. 91-95 ABS had 297's and No-ABS had 260.

cal said:
You can get stock axles from a 97+ or TJ and they will bolt right in with a bigger joint.

97+ xj?
any tj?
what if I have a disco dront 30?
Bear with me thanks!!

bcmaxx said:
cal said:
You can get stock axles from a 97+ or TJ and they will bolt right in with a bigger joint.

97+ xj?
any tj?
what if I have a disco dront 30?
Bear with me thanks!!

Any TJ, any 97+ XJ.

You need to remove the entire disco assembly (the motor and the inner shaft), and change a seal.

Pull your current shafts, pop your carrier out, and to the left side the carrier there is a place where a seal could go. There are 5-6 different seals people have used - the "normal" dana 30 seal will almost fit but not quiet. Myself, I would take an OEM d30 seal and a dremmel tool, and grind the hole out until the seal will just press in. If you want to try and use one of the seals that doesnt require any modification, bug me later in the week and I'll track down the part numbers.. a little busy to do it today.

Its a lot easier than it sounds. If you can change a broken shaft, you can do this.

I read o write-up by crash and it looks like 95 wranger with abs and disco will fit right in and be able to use the larger u-joints (bad idea?)

The shift collar for the disconnect is still weak. I never broke mine before I went to solid shafts, but I've seen them break several times on other jeeps..

Go solid. Do it once, do it right..

Just priced used wrangler front shafts $250 a piece canadian less 20% ,holy s***te batman, taking your advise, getting them from the states, $499 u.s. shipped for alloy usa's complete front disco conversion, Thanks for the time and help!

Wow, yeah thats a lot.

Alloy usa has a great warantee, and they can give you the seal you need to convert from a disconnect setup. Just make sure to let the vendor know you need it.

Back