• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirp after Muddin

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
So I was out playing in the mud (some holes were about a foot deep or so of just water) and having a blast. Well, I get ready to go out to the store earlier today and I notice that there is a chirp like a loose belt sound coming from the engine. It goes away when I hit the gas but is constant at idle. I did tighten up the serp belt a little but that didnt seem to help it too much. Something that may just go away with time? New belt? Im thinking the fact that the engine bay has a light layer of mud all over may have something to do with it but Im not sure. Ideas?

Possible that you got some water in one of the pulley bearings.....A/C, PS,and water pump come to mind. My S-10 used to have this problem, especially after trying to plow through the snowbanks and floods we get around here. Not a big problem, just kinda annoying. It may go away wiht time....but make sure that you don't over-tighten that belt. Don't want to snap it.....

RaccoonJoe said:
Possible that you got some water in one of the pulley bearings.....A/C, PS,and water pump come to mind.

Also the alternator is in a horrible spot for water infiltration...

Can a pressure washer be used under the hood? Obviously avoiding stuff like the battery and alternator, or would hand washing it be the way to go?

I've pressure washed motors before....if it's a simple mud issue, I'd go for just the garden hose routine. I've always left the motor running while washing....lets you know if something important gets wet when it starts to stall and misfire.

Things to avoid??? I've washed the battery with no real issues, but I would be careful around your distributor/plug wires.....

*edit* Also be careful that you don't blow off any vaccuum lines, etc.....

Also watch for the electronics around the throttle body...

Back