• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper design feedback

DrSockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I have been working for a while on some bumper ideas, this is what I am thinking about fabbin up. To be clear I am claiming nothing as original.:read: I also know weight will be an issue. This is more of a form concept. Thanks for lookin. And yes I could post this up under modified or fab, but you guys are the guys I trust.

Jeremy

Edit: Those are my future slicks for extra traction.

6fh6sns.jpg

Looks cool. Any attachment point to the back hatch for stability? (Even if it is not weight bearing, it might help tie it together)

How are you going to secure the swinging arms? Pins? Latch? Reduce rattle/vibration?

Stock mounting points? reinforcements?

Keep us posted!

Richdaman said:
Looks cool. Any attachment point to the back hatch for stability? (Even if it is not weight bearing, it might help tie it together)

How are you going to secure the swinging arms? Pins? Latch? Reduce rattle/vibration?

Stock mounting points? reinforcements?

Keep us posted!

This is the rough latching mechanism
a sliding "bolt" that keeps the 2 aligned.

522j1nc.jpg

Jeremy, :wave1:

Looks great to me. I will let my xj be the test rat. What do you plan on useing for the swing points? How soon before I can order one? :thumbup:

blue2824 said:
Jeremy, :wave1:

Looks great to me. I will let my xj be the test rat. What do you plan on useing for the swing points? How soon before I can order one? :thumbup:
There are manufacturers that make "hinges" just for this purpose. Megawatt could chime in and tell us where he got his.:D

quit fawking around with the putar and work on your house so you can go wheeling next time. Also buy a locker I will be shortly after today

A couple of comments:
1. Weight is going to be an issue;) (personally I think that is WAY too much weight on the back of the XJ)
2. Haveing two hinges and two swingouts will be more difficult to design, build, more weight, more cost in parts, and more difficult to get to the hatch. (I would just make it one swing out from one side with 1 decent hub style bearing and 1 decent latch system) (you can still put the tire, hi-lift, gas can if you want the weight on it).
3. Most important is the way it attaches to the frame and stock mounts. (do you have a design for this?)
4. 2nd is the quality of hub bearing and latch (so that it works with the weight and doesn't rattle like crazy) Make sure you know what you are useing (Jeremy and Hans probably have good experience as well as searching the tech forums)
5. Enjoy!!

Michael

2xtreme said:
A couple of comments:
1. Weight is going to be an issue;) (personally I think that is WAY too much weight on the back of the XJ)
2. Haveing two hinges and two swingouts will be more difficult to design, build, more weight, more cost in parts, and more difficult to get to the hatch. (I would just make it one swing out from one side with 1 decent hub style bearing and 1 decent latch system) (you can still put the tire, hi-lift, gas can if you want the weight on it).
3. Most important is the way it attaches to the frame and stock mounts. (do you have a design for this?)
4. 2nd is the quality of hub bearing and latch (so that it works with the weight and doesn't rattle like crazy) Make sure you know what you are useing (Jeremy and Hans probably have good experience as well as searching the tech forums)
5. Enjoy!!

Michael
Thanks for the input! I have a full length swing out now and I hate it! it droops like crazy when open. Then again it's not a nice hub either. Thanks again for the input.

That's freakin awesome Jeremy, love the design. I think you should be fine with the dual tank design, just don't drive around with um full all the time :) I have a full length swing out, and the only thing I wish I could add to it would be the gas tank bracket.

I had to add 1.5" shackles to my leaves when I did the bumper, but oh well, got me back to level. Also, the guy that made mine ran 1/4" thick tabs, about 2" wide and 15" long from the bumper back to the hitch bolts, and used those as bolt points as well. Just an idea. I can post a picture if you need.

Adam

adamusmc2002 said:
That's freakin awesome Jeremy, love the design. I think you should be fine with the dual tank design, just don't drive around with um full all the time :) I have a full length swing out, and the only thing I wish I could add to it would be the gas tank bracket.

I had to add 1.5" shackles to my leaves when I did the bumper, but oh well, got me back to level. Also, the guy that made mine ran 1/4" thick tabs, about 2" wide and 15" long from the bumper back to the hitch bolts, and used those as bolt points as well. Just an idea. I can post a picture if you need.

Adam
Pics would be awesome!

K, this is my second time trying to post, earlier it wasn't working. But yeah, I thought I had more pics of my bumper actually on the Jeep, but I did go to the guys' website, and got some of his pictures, before paint. The tabs aren't huge, but I imagine they should help take a good amount of stress off of the 8 factory bolts.

100_1114.jpg

100_1112.jpg

Here's the locking mechanism. Not as cool as yours, but it works, so far. I wanna box in the swing arm, so it sits in a cradle-type thing, like Jeremys(Megawatts)
100_1113.jpg

What the crap?! Why are these picture so tiny? Lame
100_1122.jpg

D20_1013.jpg

OH yeah, it's Nates4x4.com, if you wanna check it out. He's got a new, recessed winch bumper that I wish he woulda had when I bought mine :(

Last edited:
Nice design. If you run the hinge double sheer the popular 1000lb trailer spindle hinge will work well. Its not hard to design it to work without the spindle. If single sheer look for the 1750lb version. I believe jeepbuilders.com sells them. They are about double the price but well worth it. Also when designing the latch, making it cinch down tight will be huge in decreasing rattle potential. The more rigid the mounting system the better as well, you will thank yourself when looking in the rear view mirror on I-5.

adamusmc2002 said:
K, this is my second time trying to post, earlier it wasn't working. But yeah, I thought I had more pics of my bumper actually on the Jeep, but I did go to the guys' website, and got some of his pictures, before paint. The tabs aren't huge, but I imagine they should help take a good amount of stress off of the 8 factory bolts.

100_1114.jpg

100_1112.jpg

Here's the locking mechanism. Not as cool as yours, but it works, so far. I wanna box in the swing arm, so it sits in a cradle-type thing, like Jeremys(Megawatts)
100_1113.jpg

What the crap?! Why are these picture so tiny? Lame
100_1122.jpg

D20_1013.jpg

OH yeah, it's Nates4x4.com, if you wanna check it out. He's got a new, recessed winch bumper that I wish he woulda had when I bought mine :(

Adam,

Nates is one of the places I've been checking out. How long did it take for you to recieve your bumper? I've heard that his work is good, but he gets a little behind due to the high demand. Are you happy with it?

-Jeff

T&A-XJ said:
Nice design. If you run the hinge double sheer the popular 1000lb trailer spindle hinge will work well. Its not hard to design it to work without the spindle. If single sheer look for the 1750lb version. I believe jeepbuilders.com sells them. They are about double the price but well worth it. Also when designing the latch, making it cinch down tight will be huge in decreasing rattle potential. The more rigid the mounting system the better as well, you will thank yourself when looking in the rear view mirror on I-5.

Thanks for the info! The rockstomper 1000LB jobbies look plenty tough for my needs. And you can't beat the price.

DrSockMonkey said:
The rockstomper 1000LB jobbies look plenty tough for my needs. And you can't beat the price.

The Rockstomper one is the one I bought.

I like your design, looks great, but is going to be heavy.

Yes Jeff, very happy, but it does take a while. If you're in a hurry, don't order from him :) But especially that new recessed winch bumper he's got, that thing's awesome. I've got the older style, but still happy. And of course, the rear swing out. For the most part, they bolted right up. Had a small problem with the rear bumper's little hitch bolt tabs hitting my gas tank skid plate, but he probably didn't design around a gastank skid plate anyway, so I just cut out a small corner of the tabs to make it fit. No biggy. But yeah, they are great bumpers Jeff.

Back