• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25+powertrax+heavy foot= chromoly shafts?

XJ9888

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 98 XJ with a 8.25 29spl axle. I just put a powertrax in it. I am running 31's. Not going to lie, i have a heavy foot. Think the axle shafts can hold up to the beating or is it a good idea to get some chromoly shafts. I found some from alloy usa for $100 a side.

I know a guy who runs the same setup and he has alloy usa shafts and 35s. He floors it at stop lights all day and he spins through the rocks and mud. That 8.25 is a lot stronger than you might think! I'd get the chromos for added insurance.

I ran a 8.25 w/ the same set up (locker that is) w/ 4.10's and 32's and never had a problem. I had a heavy foot at times, but some how I managed to keep from breaking shafts. I have since upgraded to a 8.8 and am still going strong! You can go with the alloys for added security, or just buy a cheap set of used spare stock shafts as trail spares, they are c-clip and are super easy to swap out "in case" of a break. Just my $.02 ......and that is about all it is worth!

Yeah i figure i should swap em out and keep the stock ones for trail spares. With 31's, i should have no prolbems. I like to wheel, and not have to worry about breakage. I was reading the description of the shafts and they come with a 10 year warranty, cant beat that....

I beat the snot out of my 29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears, a powertrax and 32's.. never had a problem on stock shafts. That said, I'd still do the alloys.

Back