• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case linkage fell out, how to get back in?

darwin

NAXJA Forum User

I've taken a mallet to it, tried to pry it in on the far right end of it against the floorboard, I've fought with it for like an hour and a half. I got it back into 2wd finally but without that end held stable I won't be able to shift the TC.

Anybody had to do this before?

Get another plastic bushing. Stuff it in the hole in the bracket and then
melt the old one off the shaft with a small torch ( or a big one) and
then pop the shaft into the bushing with a big prybar.

JXPEEJ said:
Get another plastic bushing. Stuff it in the hole in the bracket and then
melt the old one off the shaft with a small torch ( or a big one) and
then pop the shaft into the bushing with a big prybar.
What a PITA.

Here's a dumb question but I'll ask anyway:

I just regeared and got a Detroit in the rear so it drives a lot different than it did before, and I'm not used to it (only been in one day), and I'm nearly positive the TC is in 2wd. It won't go any further in that direction, which is the opposite from where 4lo was. I can't hear any binding when I turn, but the TC would have kicked into neutral at about 55mph, right? Paranoid that it's in 4hi and not 2wd.

I would also check the transmission mount. Grab the tranny and see if it' moves side-side. That gap looks pretty big, almost like your tranny is shifted a bit starboard. If you really want to verify it's in 2Hi, jack up a front wheel and see if it spins. The TC doesn't kick into neutral at 55 mph.

lawsoncl said:
I would also check the transmission mount. Grab the tranny and see if it' moves side-side. That gap looks pretty big, almost like your tranny is shifted a bit starboard. If you really want to verify it's in 2Hi, jack up a front wheel and see if it spins. The TC doesn't kick into neutral at 55 mph.
It's an AX-15 if that makes a difference so it won't look the same... It doesn't move.

I had a similar issue. But instead of being disconnected on the left side of that picture, mine was disconnected on the right. That shaft that goes into the hole in the bracket attached to the body slipped out of the hole somehow.

I don't know HOW it got out. But In order to get it back in, I had to pull the carpet up. That allowed me to get to the top of the screws holding the bracket on. Took me maybe 15 minutes to do.

However, carpet still hasn't gone back in. Too lazy :confused1

Scott

We had one pop out on the trail back in '04. Was long gone by the time he noticed it. Got a new one from the dealer in town. And I'll tell you what. I have never had so much trouble with something pertaining to a Jeep in my life. We had about 4 different people under there giving it a go. About an hour later someone with enough forearm/grip strength got it in. I'd rather pull a t-case then mess with that ever again. Just took some brute strength and a little WD 40, really no trick to it. Sorry. Just got to give it hell.

I'm going to try some good vice grips, a breaker bar, and a good hammer.

Back