• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Help

johnjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i picked up jeep and ever since i replced the t-case and put in the front driveshaft it seems to be clunking or i think the torque converter is locking in and out. i just need some help with it, i dont have the money to have it looked at. i will probably pick up a tranny at the pick a part half price deal the end of this month. i just want to get what i need.

Sounds like you have a t case problem not a AW4 problem, maybe a front
diff or front shaft problem. I'd hate to see you spend $ you don't have on
a trans you don't need. When does this clunking happen?

it happens mostly when im torqing up a hille or going over bumps in the road. i tried driving it around in 4wd seeing if that would make a difference and it didnt. but there wasnt any problems before i put that case in. It feels like the front drivetrain will engage and disengage. i think the sound is coming from the driveshaft/differential area. Should i take the front driveshaft out again and see if it still does it?

Yes take the shaft out but first, what was the problem with the original
tcase in the first place? What year is this XJ? and which t case.

when i bought it there was no front driveshaft and the case was all stripped out. i found a bunch of ground up metal in the case that i took off. its a 1990 with a 242.

You might have another bad 242. I beleve thats the case that breaks the
snap ring in the output shaft and makes the sound you are describing.
You don't have a CAD ( center axle disconect ) in there do you?

come on craig...the CAD came with the 231.....that was the one with all the vaccum crap.....but yes the 242 breaks the snap ring...mainly the older ones

Back