• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to jeepn questions

rich_1833

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been reading a lot on here and this will be my first post. I'm just starting to really get into 4X4. Ive had my 1990 Jeep cherokee for about 5 years now and have very little to it. I have put 31" pro comp extreme tire on 15in rims with a BDS 4.5" lift. And that's it beside the normal tune up stuff. This is my DD and it does about 80% street and 20% off road. Mainly trail riding. I'm looking at maybe some lockers but don't want to go to far as this will still be a DD for along time to come. What should be the next step. Also I still have the stock gear's what should I be running to get the best gas miles and still have a good off road jeep? I looked at the sticky and I came up with 4.07 with 31" tire but I might have done it wrong. In closing I wanted to let everyone know that this is a great forum and if I would have found it a lot sooner I would have probably already been done. Keep up the great work.

Simper Fi
Rich

Welcome. 4.10's will suit the 31's best. If your gonna Regear, do the lockers at the same time as you'll have the case apart.

That the plain "I think" Im still not sure witch lockers to get. I like the OX and the Air lockers but I just dont know if I need them for the little 4x4 I do. So 4.10 gears should do it thanks alot.

For a mostly street rig with a low budget, I'd go 4.56s (believe me, 4.10s will leave something to be desired) and lunchbox lockers like Lockright front and Powertrax rear (if you have the D30 front and 8.25 rear).

I would not spend a lot of cash on the D30 or the 8.25 for a 80% street rig.

BlackJax said:
For a mostly street rig with a low budget, I'd go 4.56s (believe me, 4.10s will leave something to be desired) and lunchbox lockers like Lockright front and Powertrax rear (if you have the D30 front and 8.25 rear).

Yep.

BlackJax said:

for a rig on 31's DD and 80% street 4.10/11's will be fine. 4.56's will be too deep for what your doing with it.

I do encouarage you to go 4.56 if the 31's are wearing down and you plan on going bigger. (inchitis):dunno:

Back