• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 budget XJ builds

acantare

NAXJA Forum User
My brother friend is about to buy a 98 XJ auto trans. My brother has a 92 XJ 5 speed that he was going to sell but now wants to keep to wheel. Both are looking to run 31s.With budget being an issue for both the 98 XJ is leaning towards the rustys 3" AAL kit, my brother may end up going the bastard pack route or searching out used 3" lift pack. I assume both will need t-case drops, brake line exstentions, and possibly longer bump stops. Is there anything im missing, its scary im the brains behind both there projects and im a YJ guy with little experience. Also can the 98 get by running 31x10.5s on his stock rims?

Any adcive is helpfull they both are asking me alot of question and they arent to big on the whole reading thing so im what they have to learn from.

Thanks

31x10.5s are just fine on stock rims (15x7 i assume)

for brake line extentions, don't spend 80-100 on SS brakelines....stock YJ brake lines are about 3 inches longer than stock XJ lines....

no comment on the rustys kit......lol

T-case drop will depend on each individual jeep....just have to do the lift and see if you need to shim the rear, drop the TC, or maybe both

and now.....let the S-10 bastard pack and RE suggestions begin....

JNickel101 said:
stock YJ brake lines are about 3 inches longer than stock XJ lines....
yj lines dont work... wanna give the guy good information?
yj lines have a funky mounting surface where it mounts to the caliper

xcm said:
yj lines dont work... wanna give the guy good information?
yj lines have a funky mounting surface where it mounts to the caliper

Funny, I have been running them for a couple years. YES they will work!

(ill look into a snorkel thing)

The rustys kits says it comes with a brake line exstention i assume this is just a relocated bracket to give more length.

Was talking to my brother and it seems testosterone is going to be an issue and the "my jeep is bigger bug is caught before both even have there XJs. For the 92 how height can you typically go ( i know all jeeps are different) before you need a SYE.

Also what (cheap) shocks work with a 3-4" lift (ZJ shocks, YJ shocks, Dakota) or do i just need to order them specificaly for the XJ

I have the YJ lines too and the rustys extension in the front and rear. Cheap fix.When i held my YJ lines up to my Xj lines they were only 2" longer. In the rear I used a Dakota brake line with the brake line extension.

depends who makes the YJ lines...on average, they are 2.5 to 3 inches longer....

XCM, yes, I did and will continue to give good information. YJ lines fit, do you want a pic?

after reading reviews about Rustys im becomeing turned off by there kit. Instead of getting a rustys 3" kit can i get by running ZJ v8 coils, 2" spacer, and a 3" AAL from another company?

I wouldn't worry about rusty's springs, IIRC RE actually started using rusty's spring manufacture (coils, not sure about leaves). I know the last set of RE springs I put in looked just like my Rusty's other than color. Oh and my Rusty's coils have been great for a couple years now with no noticable sagging. They also ride and flex good, I believe this is why RE switched.

Since the 3" kit consists mainly of springs it should be just fine (no control arms, although they would be a good idea anyway).

AALs are just a bad idea either way, if you need to know why just search, it's been covered a lot.

IMO the worst/scariest part rusty has is his trackbar, although I haven't had issues with mine.....yet.

A few thoughts:
1. The 98 will likely need a SYE or drop transcase and shimming above 3" of lift (it might need it at 3" but you won't know till it is done). The 92? you might be able to lift to 6" or more without it (again, you never know till you try it).

2. You shouldn't need longer break lines at 3" of lift. Just extend the ones you have and check them at max droop before you use them on the trail.

3. For a budget kit the rusty's 3" AAl kit is a great kit. Alternatives are bastard packs, used lifts, etc. For a new kit you can't beat the rusty's kit.

4. definetly check the bumpstops when you put on larger tires.

5. Enjoy, and keep reading, there is lots of information on this site about 10000 different ways of doing what your doing;)

Michael

Michael,

That kind of useful advice and positive attitude is exactly why I log in here and keep coming back. You're a credit to the cause.

Ive had no problems with rusty's I got the 3" with the AAL, which is getting scrapped for a full pack only problem I had with him was I asked him for a 3/4" Shackle and he sent me a 1½" Shackle. Other than that more than happy with his service, produtcs and shipping. 2 of my friends also went with rusty's 1 3" XJ lift and 1 ZJ BB Lift.

I like their products but they sure are hard to understand what they are saying on the phone.. Damn thick accent!

For 5":
Use S10 leaves for AALs in the rear & mix & match to get a height to match your front if you want ~5" of lift. Use '79 F150 stock coils & 2" spacer in the front for 5". Use 79 F150 shocks for this lift, here is a link to more info for this lift:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Here is how our 5" homebrew lift turned out:
DSC08117.jpg

(He runs 33x13.5 TSLs with minor trimming)

For 3":
Use 2" spacer & V8 stock ZJ coils for the front, use an MJ shackle & XJ stock leaves for AAL in the rear. Here is more info:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Here is how our 3" homebrew lift turned out:
DSC06018.jpg

(I ran 33x12.5 TSLs with major trimming (not past pinch welds))

I retired the yellow XJ above recently & got a new XJ, I wanted 5" & got the Rough Country 4.5" kit shipped to my door for $450 from JCWhitney, here's a pic of it:
flex6.jpg

(I run 32x10.5s w/o any trimming)

if i can get away with a 4" lift in the 92 with out needing a SYE then i might just have to go bigger then 3". Thanks for the info im going to tell the kid with the 98 to buy the rustys kit. For my brothers 92 i might get more creative and piece somthing together.

Thanks again for you help

Skyjacker shocks are cheep. I have a 92 Laredo with 3.5 RE and a spacer in front & in the rear I have RE leaves 3.5 and a shackle for a total of 5.5 in and have stock breaklines. I would think about getting control arms because of how cheeply the stock are made. SYE is great to have but I ran my stock T-case for a year with no problems. The homebrews are always fun to come up with and you can get every thing at a wrecking yard

One Thing you will need noone mentioned is swaybar discos.
To save money go with the F150 coils and bastard packs from either a Dakota or S10, both work great to 4" of lift.

Back