• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you tow anything with this bumper?

spcustoms

NAXJA Forum User
lookin at a garvin wilderness bumper/tire carrier.. Has a reciever but they dont say if you can tow with it. Like a small trailer or somethin.. Anyone know? or have one?
thanks!

Did you contact the manufacture? Best to get your info right from the horses mouth.
Remember they may not be willing to certify it for towing even if is more then up to the job. insurance, lawsuits that sort of thing.

badron is right. The country is lawsuit happy and everyone is covering their respective butt, so noone will admit to anything anymore. If I made that bumper I would stand behind it if it was installed properly. I would tell you that you can haul a trailer big enough to put your lawnmower on and nothing larger. Because you are going to pull a skiff today and a yacht tomorrow and tear it right out of the frame/unibody and then you will sue me.
Get where I'm going with this? So do no more than Garvin will be responsible for. Or you are on your own.

Look at it this way. If the bumper attaches at the same number of places as a factory or aftermarket hitch/bumper would, you should be good to tow a small (read: 1K-2K) trailer load. My JCR bumper attaches to the Jeep at the factory bumper mounts and at least 4 more. The 2" receiver isn't large enough to fit a hitch (prototype bumper :damn: ) but if it did, I'd feel comfortable towing my small popup @ 1500lbs wet. My old Tomken bumper was the same way.

Obviously if you cause some vehicular carnage because you towed with the bumper, the manufacturer and insurance company probably will not stand behind you since the bumper wasn't DOT rated for a certain capacity. Plus, I think it costs a decent amount of $ and man hours to get something DOT rated, not something cost effective for a smaller company.

Last edited:
I would say no!It only uses the stock mounting points.

I would say no!It only uses the stock mounting points.I would even use it for recovery and would have concerns even about the spare tire tearing away!

hmm I dont think it uses any other mounting besides the stock bumper mounts.. But im sending them an email right now

I have the tomken, stock mount points and the two brackets underneath that attach to the frame rail inserts. I don't know what the rating is but I have towed a steel mesh bed trailer, 8ft long by 4 or 5 ft wide with a fold down mesh steel ramp on several occasions, the kind landscapers use. Granted nothing super heavy, usually couches, lawn tractors, helped a few people move type of thing but nothing bent, broken or damaged, the bumper is still tight. I figure I've had a couple of thousand pounds back there. Ever move a high quality kingsize fold out couch bed, I had 3 of them on there once and each one took 4 of us to move the damn thing, I coulda swore each one a beej type woman stuffed in there...:D :D :D :D

RichP said:
I coulda swore each one a beej type woman stuffed in there...:D :D :D :D

:roflmao:

Thanks to 4.SLOW for pics of the mounting... It looks pretty strong, what do you guys think?

1000329hu8.jpg

and also pinch weld-
1000331nb0.jpg

I think it needs to be tied into the frame rails and not just that lightweight cross member...

It should be more like this.....
rear%20bump2.jpg

RCP Phx said:
It should be more like this.....
rear%20bump2.jpg

Exactly. The factory bumper mounting points on the rear crossmember are only good for a bit of added supports on a bumper. They should never be the main source of mounting any bumper with extraction points or receiver hitch built into it.

Using a flat mount to tie into the framerail is the next step up and safe to tow small loads but IMO not enough to be up to anything that a class 3 hitch can handle. The reason for that is the flat mount doesn't provide much of any strength vertically and there's less weld area to the bumper itself.

Going with an angled mount like RCP Phx just posted or like this...
rb6.jpg

Will give you the ability to handle the tongue weight, shockloads of towing. Definitely don't want to try and rely on the factory mounts for that.

Back